Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I managed to knock down a ton more weeds today. I only have 3 more areas that the weeds are overgrown then I'll be done with a HHHHHHUUUUGGGGGEEEEE major project and I can go back to concentrating on smaller ones.
I know one thing none in my family better not say I haven't been busting my fanny around here nor say I don't work like they did.
They forget they had access to different machines where I'm doing it with either handheld tools (or a push mower).

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170822_202039.jpg
IMG_20170822_202153.jpg

Just locked the chickens in for the night and gathered the eggs from today. I think I may have a double (or triple) yolk egg, don't know for sure and won't know until my Uncle gets here and uses it. All I know is it won't fit in the egg carton.
Had anyone else gotten an egg that jumbo? If so, how many yolks did it have?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's some big ol' eggs!! Over the years I've had plenty of double yolks - one triple yolk - and one time I had a complete egg inside another egg! Let us know whatcha get!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm so looking forward to the clean up being completed. When I'm outside and look around I can already see in my imagination how this property is going to look like. I'm already proud of how it's coming along.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a couple Orps who lay those huge eggs regularly. Not dble yolkers, just huge eggs, lotta white. Even in a Jumbo carton I cannot fit them, they are too big. it's annoying actually. LOL No packaging for a dozen.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our friend just recently had an egg even bigger than this one shone. We were all shocked. Hers was a double yolk. They have Orpingtons but a lot of other kinds too, and aren't sure which hen laid the egg.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not only do I have Orpington but also Rhode Island Reds so not sure which one laid it.
I so want to crack it but I told my Uncle he can have it the next time he comes home which is only a week away.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I finally cracked that extra large jumbo egg it was a double yolk!
Right now sort of camping and cooking outside seeing how there's lots of family members visiting.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Come next week things are changing around here- my Uncle who I rent from is going to be here all the time. Sure there's going to be an adjustment period for both him and I.
The current company he drives for is closing their doors so he's going to be working closer to home but still driving tractor trailer even though this time it's going to be at night.

Last edited: