Getting acclimated to country

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have RIR, never had one get broody. The hatchery breed info says they don't. If you have a BO get broody, sneak some RIR eggs under her?

DH made an incubator out of an old cooler. Uses an old thermostat, a light bulb, a little desk fan, and a mason jar of water with a rag as a wick. Works great, we've incubated 5 batches.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
BO and RIR are both lovely breeds :) I had some hatchery quality RIR a few years ago. No broodies, but I did not have them very long, only about a year.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now NOT trying to have any more chicks because old man WINTER will be upon me soon.

Yep -- winter is coming! :oops: I like Spring & Fall!!!

I'm here where it stays warm enough well into late Nov to have chicks raised by hens, outside. So, one more batch would be fine with me but, it's a time when most hens have stopped and are thinking about a moult soon.

What I HATE about moult is that my hens free range and you just have sooooooo many feathers that you are constantly looking for
a dead one &/or counting to see if any are missing. :th

The hens raised are really pretty! I need to get some pics as a couple are lookers....varied color, etc. So far, few roos are showing. That's nice but, it ain't over...couple for sures.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH made an incubator out of an old cooler. Uses an old thermostat, a light bulb, a little desk fan, and a mason jar of water with a rag as a wick. Works great, we've incubated 5 batches.

Do you use an auto turner in it? We may need to see this set up :p I have one of the cheap-o styro ones that has worked well. Need to buy a turner. But, just can't beat my broody for raising & training beyond hatch! That is the best part to me.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you use an auto turner in it? We may need to see this set up :p I have one of the cheap-o styro ones that has worked well. Need to buy a turner. But, just can't beat my broody for raising & training beyond hatch! That is the best part to me.

No turner. We re-use plastic egg cartons to hold the eggs. We rotate the carton positions daily and tip the eggs from leaning against one side to the other twice daily.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170812_075940.jpg
IMG_20170812_075903.jpg

UPDATED PICS:
First pic- Mama #2 and Peepers ( about a week old).
Second pic- Mama #1 and Munchkin ( about a month old).

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, today while I was outside I saw Boo, my EE ROOSTER, doing what a rooster is supposed to do ( being a man) and Mr. Rooster just looked at Boo as to say, "Now I have to share my hens with you too! It's not fair!".