Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that I have another Mama hen who has hatched 2 babies!! As soon as I get a pic I'll post it.
I may have noticed 2nd Mama and babies first but I let my Uncle get the first pics of them seeing how I was able to get the first pics of the other three.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170915_121017.jpg

First batch of homemade applesauce. It's an easy recipe!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I already do look at as a positive aspect in my life so if I ever do end up leaving here and still end up living in the country I'll be able to get my own flock of chickens and take of the land so the land will take care of me. Yup, I'm learning as I go along but isn't that the best way to get through life?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need to have a tractor training session one day when uncle is home. Then just do what you need to do & relieve the stress. You still don't share ages BUT it sure sounds like some youngsters who have a "compete" going on. If cousin is a lot younger & you are "babysitting" him, take control & if not, ignore him except for his own personal clean-up.

The three of you need a hard talk. Then do your share & crew the rest. It's like a marriage, don't think you will change the partner because you can't. Just don't marry.

See? Worry that you do your share......let cousin learn he needs to do for self. It is not going to work out as it is now. Back to maturity.

I wish you luck.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You better! It'll give you a lot of brownie points!

they are as rare as hen's teeth
I don't think they're THAT rare lol. I've had many hard-working men in my life starting with my dad and brother. My first husband (yes, I'll give him credit for being a hard worker) my son, neighbors. Families on my street are always working, gardening, raising animals. Hurricanes/storms we all chip in and help. My neighbor cut up a tree that was blown down in my yard...wouldn't take a dime for his work. My DH now - may not have been born on a farm or know much about working one - but he's always willing to jump in and try. :love

Maybe we just grow hard working men in Texas! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We grow 'em in NH too. My husband does most of the serious physical lavor around here. I help but I'm slow, lol! I can't put up a straight fence to save my life! My stepdad never stops working (drives my mom crazy).I've got a bunch of the other type around too, but plenty of workers!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been here at my Uncle's property all by myself for a little over a week now.
I've managed to get some outside stuff done in between rain showers and thunderstorms but I've got the house cleaned and organized- NONE OF YOU FAINT ON ME HERE- the house is staying clean and organized.
I texted my cousin yesterday, " Hope you're not planning on coming back anytime soon seeing how I'm enjoying living here on my own." His response was, " okay that's fine".
The only issues I have is the 3 inside cats ( Midnight and Rigby who are 2 years old, Tyge who is younger than a year) are driving me crazy- I'm going to need a vacation by the time my cousin comes back from his. I can't say if and which one of the house cats is worse than the other two.
On this past Sun I began to let my 2 roosters out of the brooder box. There was some issues at first but I did a little separation of the Easter egger then let him back out after a while and no problem since.
Last night was the first night I didn't put them in the brooder box they were both still alive this morning. I put them in the brooder box before I let the other chickens out seeing how I have an appointment but I'm going to let them out when I get back.
The Buff Orpington rooster is trying to crow already and he's only around 3 1/2 months old.
When they are outside, I keep a close eye on them in order to keep them from being breakfast ( or lunch or dinner) to the other predators (mainly a chicken hawk) but the Easter egger likes to do a disappearing act on me which makes me think the chicken hawk got him then when I give up searching for him, he reappears most of the time behind me as I'm heading inside.
Yup, I get laughs out of ALL the antics of the animals ( 4 steers, 40+ other chickens and rooster, 2 outside cats and 3 inside cats) here but I do enjoy tending to them all the same.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think so because Tyge really doesn't trust females. Tyge just tolerates me. Rigby is more of a pain in the my kister than the rest so I'm pretty sure if my cousin had to leave a cat behind it would be Rigby. I think Rigby already thinks he belongs to me because I can't even drink my first cup of coffee without having Rigby thinking he's a kitten still- has to be on my lap with me holding him, patting him!!!:barnie:he

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday got a new push mower and I LOVE IT!!!! So easy to start and use. It's a Toro, got it from the Home Depot. Well, I didn't get it- my Uncle got it!!
So far we haven't got the chicken run out back up yet but got 80-85% of the yard mowed and a couple other small projects done.

Latest posts