Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Only because I'm so cheap but also trying to become self-sufficient I made up my own insect repellent spray. The following is what I used:
10-12 ounces WHITE vinegar
8 drops Iodine
1/8th cup rubbing alcohol
Bugs hate me now including those pesky irritating deer flies!!!:weee
I know, I know just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for everyone else but just try it before judging it.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On thing I'd recommend to anyone moving to a rural situation is to develop a friendship network. Be open, at least, to meeting people - and treasure the ones you feel you have an affinity with.

Besides increasing how good you feel about being in the country, I think this is very important for the exchange of ideas and know-how.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170624_160857.jpg
IMG_20170624_160948.jpg
IMG_20170624_161019.jpg
These pics are of the mid clean up progress. As you can see Boo had to get in at least 2 of them.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170624_185109.jpg
That's my tan today! I'm getting so dark and summer has just begun. Next thing I know I'll be as dark as trees and nobody will be able to actually see me unless the pale (ghost white) parts are showing. LOL!!!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If it was only that easy!!! No matter what room inside the house I go into I have at least 2 cats following me.
When I go to the outside door to go out there's always a bunch of two-legged feathered friends waiting at the door for me and they follow as soon as I step out and more come running from no matter where they are at.
Whenever the lady I call "Grandma" is over she always gets a laugh sometimes a really good laugh at how the chickens follow me around- I stop they stop, I walk they walk.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still attempting to grieve the passing of the only man I've called DAD. I've cried some tears but haven't really broke down yet.
1.) Does that mean I haven't accepted his passing?
2.) Does that mean I don't want to think of him being gone?
3.) Does that mean I didn't really think of him as Dad?

1. I believe that you are still stunned by the news and the manner in which it was delivered.
2. No, you don't want to think of him as being gone.
3. You really did think of him as your Dad, you loved him dearly and still do.

This is hard on you and with good reason. Write him a letter. Pour your heart out on paper and tell him everything you ever wanted him to know. Read it to him out loud. he will hear you, he will know and it will bring you comfort. Your DAD loved you and you love him. It stinks on how you found out of his passing. You can't dwell on that or it will make you crazy. Concentrate on the love he gave you and the love you gave in return. He was, is, and will always be, YOUR DAD.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Over the past few months things you have posted lead me to believe that there is far more to your anger than the death of your dad. Until you confront those issues within yourself, you will not be able to move forward with life. Please look to a counselor with your own well being needs. There are those available without charge. Most pastors can advise where to find such help. I urge you to do this to help yourself. I know you are hurting over many things. :hugs:hugs

Please try to calm & attend the memorial service, without any confrontations. Just go and pray. Honor his memory and his part in your life. Your dad didn't write the obit. He loved you.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being out here in the country is so quiet and peaceful.
I don't know I didn't enjoy it before. Sure, there's a lot of work up keep that goes on but as time goes on it doesn't seem like work to me. It seems like exercise which I enjoy it even the tough work seems to be getting easier than what it was before.
NOPE, I'M STILL NOT MOVING THE ROCKS BY THE SMALL POND. NOPE, NOPE. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Snakes are living there and some are pretty big!! I try to keep my distance from getting too close to the pond so that way I won't bother them.
Sitting outside enjoying the crisp in the air and letting Mother Earth do her thing is so relaxing. I can't understand why others don't appreciate it and why they always want to destroy it.