Getting acclimated to country

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate rain!!!!:barnie
Grass grows too fast plus outside work has to get put off even though every time it stops raining I go out until it begins to rain again.
It's also hard on my back to continue bending over to cut the weeds but from what I hear my Uncle is proud of the work that I'm doing so I'm attempting to not disappoint him at the same time so I push through the pain.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hands and knees, when you're working in the garden. I have a back problem too. Take something out there with you that you can kneel comfortably on. And be warned, when you're eye to eye with the garden, you'll see a lot more weeds and things needing doing lol

Your uncle, if he's of the old-fashioned type, will probably be a bit concerned about you being out there managing by yourself and being female. I've had that problem when I started playing at farming (saying "playing", because I did it very small scale), but showing you CAN and will do fine, he'll come round soon. Judging by the garden pics you shared above, you're doing great over there :)

As for the neighbours and friends, having people around to call on if needed is well, needed. You never know what may happen and on farms anything is possible. I remember having a bad falling out with a neighbour some years ago and a few weeks later I got some sheep. Total impulse buy and I know enough about sheep to be dangerous. So I went and knocked on the neighbour's door and very sheepishly (sorry) admitted to my purchase and ignorance and asked if he'd come look over them for me. He was pleased that I required his "expertise" and needed his help and forgave me for the falling out.

The best I found to do, if there is discomfort already, is to act like nothing is amiss, be friendly, act normal and keep at it until they come round. Most people eventually do.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not these ones! Whenever I see them out and if I'm close enough I say "hi" but no reply or even any sort of acknowledgement from them.
I did make my own "kneeler" out of two kitchen table chair cushions inside a big heavy duty Black contractor trash bag. The bag is so wide enough I was able to put the seat cushions side by side.
I love being outside (except for those bugs and getting sunburnt) and "playing" with flowers. I do have a year's worth of horticulture training in my background which is coming in handy at times.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's pics of what the small pond by the house looks like now. You can say these are the before pics:
IMG_20170624_075015.jpg
IMG_20170624_075119.jpg

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would be doing more clean up right now but my right hand is getting sore and I must not have enough strength in my left to work the grass shears seeing how that's the hand tool I'm currently using.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Have a cup of tea and put your feet up for a spell.