ggie gardeners i need your input

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planning the fall garden...
zone 6 (CT)

ive stil got in the ground from my spring planting, calui that hasnt done anyting and broccoli that hasnt doen much of anything (theyve grown nicely but havent yet headed up)
according to the online stuff i should start seeds for cauli, cabbage and broccoli indoors now for planting in 3 weeks?
should i essentially give whats in now another 3 weeks to perform then pull pretty much everything out and start again with seeds ill be starting indoors this comming week?

thoughts?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That sounds like pretty much what I'd do :hu

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm in zone 5. I never have had any luck growing fall crops, but sometimes the spring ones make a comeback if I can keep them alive during the heat of summer. I'm going to try chinese cabbage same as you, starting seed now and hoping for the best.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was cleaning up half my garden box(still have tomatoes growing),and planted some swiss chard and mixed lettuce.Radish and beets would grow quick. I don't know if the zukes would make it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pinkfox, I'm in zone 6 also (Cascade mountains of Oregon). I have small heads of cauliflower and broccoli and the brussels sprouts look like they are starting little micro heads. I'm going to leave mine in place as long as they are producing. I bought some snow cover (floating row cover) that is supposed to protect down to 26 degrees, so I'm hoping that will let me get a decent crop.

I think you should plant your fall brassicas in a different part of the garden. I've read that they need a 4 year rotation to avoid diseases.