Gingerbread cookies

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we made a batch of sugar cookies the other night...Nicole decorated and Tony ate them...LOL

Now we want to make gingerbread. I never made them.

Anyone have an easy recipe for gingerbread? Thanks

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
1 c. butter 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 egg
1 Tbsp water or orange juice 2 Tbsp. dark corn syrup or molasses
1/2 tsp salt 3 1/4c. flour 2 tsp soda
2tsp cinnamon 1tspginger 1/4tsp ground cloves
1tsp nutmeg

Cream butter & sugar. Add egg & beat well. Add water & syrup & mix. Sift dry ingredients together & add to creamed mixture. Mix well & chill at least 1 hr. Prepare a floured surface & roll out dough 1/8-1/4 in thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Before baking, place raisins for eyes, nose, mouth & buttons, or decorate later with decorator icing after they are cooked & cooled. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 mins.

Enjoy!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks HM
that is exactly what I needed. printing out and taking to the store tomorrow. I need ginger, sugar, cloves....then all set to go! :)

sounds delish! Nicole will have a blast making these. I bought a gingerbread man, star, tree and angel cutouts.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Your welcome Karen. Instead of raisins you can use the red hot cinnamon candies to decorate with too. Richard enjoy's making these too. Have fun!

:thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh thanks
I priced the decorative icing squeezy tube stuff...OUCH!
there has to be a cheaper way..LOL....hmm....any suggestions? I need to keep it simple for Nicole. Maybe just some icing and sprinkles...who care if they are perfect, right? LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
They will be perfect becaue she helped make them. If you want icing make some buttercream icing yourself & use that. You can tint it different colors & use on sugar cookies too. Just some thoughts. I usually use the red hot candies. This yr I am thinking of making the icing & using it too. I need to get started on all my baking so it is all done ahead of time except the pies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I have tons of veggie dyes in my house cause that is what I use to color my soaps I make.....so just buttercream icing with a bit of color should be fine.

wow those prices on the decorating icing was high! no way at almost $4 a little tube was I doing that. My goodness these would be the most expensive stupid cookies in the world..LOL

not being a baker, I don't have any baker things, like the squeeze decorating bags etc. Not buying any either..LOL...I don't much like baking and Nicole can have a field day with just some simple cookies.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You don't have to have fancy equipment. To pipe some frosting on your gingerbread men, use a zip - lock type bag. put your frosting in the bag, snip off a little bit of one corner, and squeeze. It won't make fancy designs, but to outline your cookies it should work just fine. Have fun!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW big bertha
thanks so much. that is such a simple and easy solution. you are right, it will pipe my outline around the gingerbread man. THANKS...not something I would have thought of myself! :)

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You bet!! Enjoy yourself with the little one. They grow up too fast :hit.

Latest posts