glenolam's madness - April passed away

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like ohiogoatgirl I've lingered here long enough I figured I'd do myself some good and sign up so I could join in the conversations!!

Those of you also on BYH know I have goats, chickens, cows and "inside" animals. My husband and I try to be 'backyard farmers' but it is so freaking hard sometimes when we both work full time. Our son is almost 6 so we've started making him do more chores (favorite line from dad is "Great-Grampa made me do this when I was 3 - you've got it easy!"), but still - my dream is to quit my full time job and work part time. Can't say I want to be a stay at home wife/mom; I think I'd drive my self crazy! But I sure do wish I was home more to help our little family become more sufficient. Right now we do what we can after work and on weekends.

My husband grew up on a farm & bought 24 acres from his grandfather a few years before I met him (cha-ching!) so luckliy we already had the land. We built our house & slowly have purchased an additional 4 acres added 2 smaller barns, a hen house (that used to be the tool shed) and fenced in a large portion of the property for our goats and cows.

We have beef cows, but have yet to slaughter one. We got 3 Herefords in '08 and they all calved last year so this year we have a few to choose from (depending on what we want!). I'd like to get some feeder pigs eventually - if I could only talk hubby into the fencing (free - I read your novels on it and good gawd! I'm scared! :lol: )

Sorry for the rambling - don't feel like working much today and now I've wondered off into thinking about what else I could be doing if I weren't here!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:welcome

Hi! Sounds like you fit right in!

I find that the more I try to do for myself, the more work seems like a waste of time. But the money is nice. :p

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Even when I was working, the times that I enjoyed the most was being at home with the kids and teaching them how to farm. Doing chores is good for them!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Hiya! I think you have helped me over at BYH. It is real nice over here!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! We also hunt & I must say I love love love that hunting section! I did have my hubby out numbered, but this year he got 3 and I "technically" got 2 (no recovery on a button buck until 5 days later :/ but I still count it!) so he's up on me...BUT he's been hunting for years and I only started three years ago! HA!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, its about time!! :welcome

If you start picking up ss skills, trust me, you won't go crazy if you cut back to part-time work, and you will eventually be more financially fit for it, too, as you do more and more for yourself. I believe that many families would do better financially on one income than on they do on two. They often don't factor in ALL the costs of working, and the tax savings of doing for themselves....you need to earn$30-40 in order to have $20 to spend on groceries....or you could stay home and save that and be healthier and happier in the process! Stick around for lots of ideas and inspiration. Buncha nerds here.... :lol: