Gluten/dairy free & I'm feeling better now! (update)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Curly, consider that you have Likely been running on carbs....take those out and your energy source ( and energy levels) are gone. Replace that energy source with good forms of natural fats and you will perk up. And you wont gain weight :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Duh...why didn't I think of bacon...the universal medicine!! ** FACE PALM

What Dace said...MORE BACON!

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Fry some diced potatoes in that bacon fat while your at it and throw in a couple of free range eggs! :drool

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
big brown horse said:
Yes, I agree with everyone else, quitting cold turkey worked for me, however my friend got headaches, bad breath :p , diarrhea and was a complete grouch for two weeks. However, now she feels fantastic and we can both tell when we cheat...oh boy do our bodies revolt! :lol:

My daughter's dietitian said to quite one thing per week, gluten first then wait a week and quit dairy. My daughter did just fine.
I think I need to try eliminating dairy from my little one's diet. Even though she has improved tremendously by going GF, she still gets mild and random tummy aches. She is a picky eater though and we seem to rely on dairy to get calories and fat into her skinny little body.

I just can't imagine going without it. :(
This dairy that she is eating...is it pasteurized? Before you throw out dairy, consider going completely raw on dairy first.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
Dace said:
big brown horse said:
Yes, I agree with everyone else, quitting cold turkey worked for me, however my friend got headaches, bad breath :p , diarrhea and was a complete grouch for two weeks. However, now she feels fantastic and we can both tell when we cheat...oh boy do our bodies revolt! :lol:

My daughter's dietitian said to quite one thing per week, gluten first then wait a week and quit dairy. My daughter did just fine.
I think I need to try eliminating dairy from my little one's diet. Even though she has improved tremendously by going GF, she still gets mild and random tummy aches. She is a picky eater though and we seem to rely on dairy to get calories and fat into her skinny little body.

I just can't imagine going without it. :(
This dairy that she is eating...is it pasteurized? Before you throw out dairy, consider going completely raw on dairy first.
Hmmm......she eats yogurt about 4-5 times per week and she likes her cheese. I put heavy cream in her morning oatmeal....and of course butter on things. I guess I could find all of those raw except the yogurt. Maybe I will try that, thank you.....I would not have thought of that.

I have found that with going GF I am feeding her more packaged foods than I am happy about :( I really need to focus more effort on her diet.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace, you can make your own raw milk yogurt. It's easy. It tends to be not as firm as commercial yogurt, but that can be solved with a bit of unflavored gelatin.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You are detoxing! All those symptoms can be detox symptoms. You need to support that process....getting rid of toxins is important. So....support elimination. Drink lots of water, maybe start your day with a mug of hot water with the juice of half a lemon in it (heat the water first to keep the fresh lemon juice from getting cooked.) Don't use the bottled stuff, it is full of....yes, toxins. Eliminate sugar if you can. Use stevia or a little raw honey or real maple syrup, in moderation.

Also support the major way your body eliminates toxins....via you colon. So stuff yourself with as many high-fiber (LGI) veggies as you can, and a little fruit. Try to go for half raw and half cooked if you can. Limit the seed-type veggies, like corn, peas, potatoes, but do have some. With taters, go organic if you don't have home grown. The chemicals used on potatoes are particularly toxic, and then they are dowsed with more toxic chemicals to keep them from sprouting.

Eliminate soy immediately, it is VERY bad for you and will impact your thyroid and other hormones. Only eat corn that is organic, non-GMO, otherwise, it is full of toxins.

All those symptoms may indicate that your body has a great need to cleanse. The above will do that in a safe way.

Yes, have fats, good fats, they are critical!

ETA: BBH, your friend's symptoms were CLASSIC detox symptoms!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Also support the major way your body eliminates toxins....via you colon. So stuff yourself with as many high-fiber (LGI) veggies as you can, and a little fruit. Try to go for half raw and half cooked if you can. Limit the seed-type veggies, like corn, peas, potatoes, but do have some. With taters, go organic if you don't have home grown. The chemicals used on potatoes are particularly toxic, and then they are dowsed with more toxic chemicals to keep them from sprouting.

Eliminate soy immediately, it is VERY bad for you and will impact your thyroid and other hormones. Only eat corn that is organic, non-GMO, otherwise, it is full of toxins.
I always THOUGHT I ate a lot of fruits & veggies, but NOTHING compares to what I'm consuming now!!! The only thing I don't like is that I feel like I'm eating a lot of out-of-season stuff since I'm buying it at the grocery store. :/ Cutting the soy & corn is something I'm planning on doing shortly. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now, so I'm going to get this part under control & then tackle the rest. I'm really hoping that I will be able to add a LITTLE bit of dairy back in w/o it making too much of a difference. I miss my yogurt. :(

On the upside, my stomach is feeling less wonky than it has, and my...ummm...digestion is better. I'll spare you the details. :D

ETA: speaking of yogurt, I've ready that goat's milk dairy can be easier to digest than cow's milk. Anyone heard this?

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I take activated charcoal and butchers broom when I'm cleansing. Between the both of them almost always all of my nasty cleansing symptoms are gone.

*sigh* I know I need to go GF and more then likely DF at least long enough to heal my gut. I have a family history of gluten intolerance and this past summer I found out that when my adrenals are depleted because of high stress I'm allergic to any pasteurized dairy. I have several symptoms of a hidden allergy. Dark circles under the eyes being one of them.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
ETA: speaking of yogurt, I've ready that goat's milk dairy can be easier to digest than cow's milk. Anyone heard this?
Yes, it's because of the types of casein. Most cows have type 2 casein while most goats have type 1 casein, which is easier to digest, and all around better for you.