1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

GM Cattle anyone?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by NH Homesteader, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Feb 21, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I always wonder, when someone has just a cow or two, do you borrow a bull? Use AI? If we ever get a cow it'll be a Dexter. Good milk, good meat, small package . Probably won't ever get a cow though, I have enough going on out there lol

2. Feb 21, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I worked on a diary farm over weekends in my teens. Absolutely loved every minute of it... Except those times when my boss handed me one of those long plastic gloves and said the top hole ;)

I watched a cow give birth there (and got gifted the calve, a female, I named her Candice), I learned to do AI and successfully impregnated a cow :gig (I still laugh when I say it.. It sounds so strange) But it was awesome and I love cows for it, for the happy memories :)

Rammy and frustratedearthmother like this.
  3. Feb 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

That cow is even good looking from that end. She's not all spattered with cow patty the way a lot of cows are!!!

4. Feb 22, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Lovin' The Homestead

Eva pretty much stays clean. I try to keep a 'hay pad' out in the field (previous round bale waste) for her to lay on.

@NH Homesteader , AI is pretty cheap and easy here. But I'm considering the (vague) possibility that if this year's calf is a bull, letting him breed her. I can't decide if the hassle of a bull on site is worth the trade off of the hassle of AI.
    That picture was taken during her 'maternity shoot' :lol::gig You can barely see them in that one, but she's wearing a string of 'pearls'.. just being silly one day waiting on her first calf to arrive.

But I think I've hijacked this thread more than enough... t1233[1].gif

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  5. Feb 22, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

How long will it be before the United Nations has their way, One World Government takes over, We are selectively killed off by chemtrails, the rest are rounded up and pushed into high rise apartments to be servants to the "elites" and our food is a 3 times a day capsule?

Rammy and canesisters like this.
  6. Feb 22, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Hijack away, no biggie! Personally, I would do AI a thousand times over rather than keep a bull. Too much potential for dangerous behavior. But I'm not a cattle person, either. :)

7. Feb 22, 2019
    wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Almost Self-Reliant

If I were to ever get a cow - I am torn between a Dexter or a Devon.
    Dexter because they do great on grass, small size, excellent milk, excellent meat.
    Devon because they do great on grass, medium size, great milk, excellent meat; plus they are an oxen so their temperament is calm too boot.

Rammy, Mini Horses and NH Homesteader like this.