GM Cattle anyone?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always wonder, when someone has just a cow or two, do you borrow a bull? Use AI? If we ever get a cow it'll be a Dexter. Good milk, good meat, small package . Probably won't ever get a cow though, I have enough going on out there lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I worked on a diary farm over weekends in my teens. Absolutely loved every minute of it... Except those times when my boss handed me one of those long plastic gloves and said the top hole ;)

I watched a cow give birth there (and got gifted the calve, a female, I named her Candice), I learned to do AI and successfully impregnated a cow :gig (I still laugh when I say it.. It sounds so strange) But it was awesome and I love cows for it, for the happy memories :)

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Eva pretty much stays clean. I try to keep a 'hay pad' out in the field (previous round bale waste) for her to lay on.

@NH Homesteader , AI is pretty cheap and easy here. But I'm considering the (vague) possibility that if this year's calf is a bull, letting him breed her. I can't decide if the hassle of a bull on site is worth the trade off of the hassle of AI.
That picture was taken during her 'maternity shoot' :lol::gig You can barely see them in that one, but she's wearing a string of 'pearls'.. just being silly one day waiting on her first calf to arrive.

But I think I've hijacked this thread more than enough...
t1233[1].gif

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How long will it be before the United Nations has their way, One World Government takes over, We are selectively killed off by chemtrails, the rest are rounded up and pushed into high rise apartments to be servants to the "elites" and our food is a 3 times a day capsule?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hijack away, no biggie! Personally, I would do AI a thousand times over rather than keep a bull. Too much potential for dangerous behavior. But I'm not a cattle person, either. :)

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If we ever get a cow it'll be a Dexter. Good milk, good meat, small package .
If I were to ever get a cow - I am torn between a Dexter or a Devon.
Dexter because they do great on grass, small size, excellent milk, excellent meat.
Devon because they do great on grass, medium size, great milk, excellent meat; plus they are an oxen so their temperament is calm too boot.