GM Cattle anyone?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being married to cows is not my idea of a fun time. Gotta be there for milking morning and evening. EVERY. DAY. Then, what to do with all that milk?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I quit milking goats because my body decided it hates dairy. Then I realized I'm relieved because milking twice a day takes over your life!

I'm pretty sure Mini Horses doesn't need more milk. Or more livestock lol. But it sounds fun doesn't it? Or not... lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Being married to cows is not my idea of a fun time. Gotta be there for milking morning and evening. EVERY. DAY.
That's the beauty of grafting calves onto the cow - they milk for you. Want some for yourself - keep the calves away for a few hours. Then you only get the milk you want and aren't drowning.

And, she has lots of grass...just sayin'!

But I wouldn't do it...not really a cow fan. :hide

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mini Horses doesn't need more milk. Or more livestock lol. But it sounds fun doesn't it? Or not... lol

But I wouldn't do it...not really a cow fan. :hide

And you would BOTH be right. :lol:

It's a desire I have always had but, my goats fill all my dairy needs/wants very nicely. Now, a couple bucklings could fill my freezer with more than I need. I love a great steak!! BUT -- 2 yrs out? No. I can buy THE BEST for less than buying & raising more & waiting for it. Not happening, sadly. I also want to have turkeys -- WHY? I cook one a year? Buy and shut up. Lot less work. Hey, I am not getting any younger and have all I need to do here. I have raised cattle before, beef type. Great, great eating. Excess roos will be my freezer poultry.

Nope, my goal now is to stay home more. I need to rework some of my grass into something else. Some will just be over seeded areas for more winter graze, beneficial forbs, etc. Working on that. Grow more feed and food. Preserve more of it all. Reduce expenses. RETIRE...….:D My goal.:old

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To each his own - but I wouldn't trade my JerseyxAngus for ANYTHING!
Stays fat on almost nothing but pasture or hay. Easy calving. Raises a 3/4beef calf. Just enough milk to keep the calf & myself happy - because REALLY... who NEEDS 10 gallons A DAY unless you're a Serious cheese maker or a herd-share???
eva 9.2016.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure that is her best angle, but she is a pretty cow. She has a sweet face.

Latest posts