goat cheese or another use for goat milk

animal nut

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a chance to trade eggs for goat milk. What all can I use the goat milk for?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi,

If you scroll down in the Roll your own... index you will find a recipe for goat milk ice cream. Looks good!

When I needed to wean my daughter (while I was on antibiotics) I gave her goats milk in a bottle instead of formula. She didn't complain. :)

I hear it is much easier to digest than cows milk.

Good Luck!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well, you can drink it, theres always icecream as mention, I make yogurt fairly often with our milk which is pretty easy. You can try to make butter and cheeses also. I've made chevre (basic goat cheese), I didn't like the taste, but some people love it, maybe its an aquired taste? Lol.

If you need any recipes just ask! Freemotion is making cheddar with her goat cheese!

animal nut

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, I see what I can do. I will try anything once.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can also make goat's milk hand and body lotion. Do a google search, there are lots of recipes out there. I haven't done it yet, but it is on my project list. I did make two batches of soap, lots of cheese, yogurt, and I love the hot chocolate I make with it every morning. I drink it raw and unpasteurized, just filtered, that is it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Amos said:
If you need any recipes just ask! Freemotion is making cheddar with her goat cheese!
Don't ask until mid-June. That is when my first cheddar will be ready, so I won't know if I am any good at it until then! :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Free, did you dip yours in paraffin wax? If so, is that petroleum based? I know someone said that paraffin candles release toxins from the by-products of the petroleum. Is this true of paraffin? Could a person use pure beeswax instead?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bee, this is one of my compromises that is an irritant......my book says the beeswax is too brittle, so I bought the cheese wax. My plan is to not really vary from the recipe, other than not pasteurizing the milk (60 days of aging will kill pathogens). Then when I have the main stuff down, start experimenting. I am kinda thinking I will try using beeswax on the inner layer and cheese wax on the outside (I use two coats, I use a brush to apply it. It's kinda fun!) then try one with just beeswax, etc. I wish I could find some definitive info on that. I'm sure that is what was used in past centuries, but who knows? A lot of that wisdom is lost.

Not only is it paraffin based, it is dyed! Red, yellow, or black. And all the wraps you can buy are synthetics. I am thinking of trying oiled cotton cloth or something for the softer cheeses ultimately.

Experiment with me! And sell me some really pure, unbleached beeswax!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Didn't they used to grease their wheels of cheese and cover with a cheesecloth? Of course, they kept their cheeses for some time and would just cut the mold off it and eat it anyway....and why not? Cheese is mainly a mold-based product to begin with....as is pickled corn, kraut, etc. They all are cultured or fermented to some degree.

And look at blue cheese....isn't it colored with the form of mold that inhabits it?

Butter milk...so good for the digestion...full of mold cultures.

Some molds good....some not so good.

Maybe its time to go really OLD school and just oil and wrap our cheeses?

I think, if one were to mix the beeswax with another emollient it would be more pliable...will have to do some research on this.

Yeah, I've seen the dye leached out into the cheese from those waxes...of course its food grade dye of supposedly vegetable proteins...but do we trust it?