goat cheese or another use for goat milk

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can't wait to make ice cream! Aarrgh, not time in the spring for much of anything but work, work, work! I rarely eat commercial ice cream, besides the lactose that bothers my digestion, it is made with lovely things like antifreeze and paint thinner to keep it soft. Yeesh.

Yup, Bee, molds can be good and bad. To do cheese that way, I think I would need a really, really good root cellar to keep it cooler. I'm working on it!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DGC == Dear Grand Children--- they used to love string cheese, this is about the same thing. Also farmhouse cheese and make some Cajeta (caramel) to go on the ice cream---Elmhaven site has some good recipes. I myself don't find mozzeralla that great--its ok, but it really doesn't have a taste. but add a little garlic and that helps--ohh my son and grandsons love love garlic, I used to open my sons door in the morning when he was young and would almost die because of the garlic. All 3 grandsons love it that way also, 2 are his sons and the 3rd one is my daughters son. Grand daughter at age 19months likes garlic, but not like the boys.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'll give mozzarella another try, to see if the grass season and being a little later in the goat's lactation makes a difference for me. Garlic sound's good!

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
from what I understand, mozzeralla should be made from early lactation milk--so that is all I have used--a little bit a garlic helps a lot. I am anxious to try farmhouse cheese, if I ever get enough milk. Someone on one of my groups also put pepperflakes in the mozzeralla, I haven't tried that yet, don't know how it would work or taste.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My God parents are Armenian and their version of string cheese was a thick twirl of tasty mozzeralla with the most wonderful herbs added. Sadly for the life of me I can't remember what they were!!! My BRAIN!!!:barnie It is right on the tip of my taste buds!!:p

Anyone out there know what those herbs (or spices) are? It is the MOST wonderful mozzeralla I have ever had in my life.

I will call them this weekend to find out what they made it with.

NOW I WANT A GOAT...thanks y'all!!