Goat issues and questions

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Here is the deal.
4 does
2 bucks
1 doe only cycled once back in Dec. If she is pregnant, she is due near the end of May.

the other 3 are now on their 6th cycle since we got them :(
We brought in the second buck after the 3rd cycle, thinking that the other one just was not cutting it.
But I have my doubts now.
I know for a fact that all the does have been well covered.

I will be taking a blood sample of the one doe and sending that in asap.

What would you all suggest, from a sustainable viewpoint?
How many should take a trip to freezer camp?
I know I will need to keep one extra for company, and I am thinking her mother is best choice, but :idunno

FYI, I do not have a very clear case history on these does.

sigh.... I need a :hugs

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How old are the bucks compared to the does?

Are you certain they're in heat or are they just acting different every few weeks?

FWIW, my doe had to be brought to a different buck than mine twice because mine would't do the deed with her (my other girls, no problem, but this doe is picky). She didn't settle on the first go round, but most likely did on the 2nd. 3 weeks after the 2nd attempt I almost thought she was in heat, but it wasn't the same as the other two cycles so I'm guestimating she's now bred and that heat cycle was just a hormonal adjustment.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gosh that stinks. Do you know if any have freshened before? Or how old they are? I know you said you don't have much history, but are they old or very young? it does seem like 6 cycles should have been enough.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
They are certainly in heat. The buck is going insane out there.
One buck is 2 years old, and the other is 1. The one year old is the one that covered the doe we are certain is pregnant.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Gosh that stinks. Do you know if any have freshened before? Or how old they are? I know you said you don't have much history, but are they old or very young? it does seem like 6 cycles should have been enough.
one is 5, the other two are 3, and they have all freshened as recently as last summer. I do know that for sure.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard pregnancy hormones can set off a buck too, but you probably know their heat signs by now too. I'm sorry I'm not much help on this...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I have heard pregnancy hormones can set off a buck too, but you probably know their heat signs by now. I'm sorry I'm not much help on this...
Yeah, that tail wagging and "please love on me attitude" are present in all three :(

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We are not opposed to culling. Its just very hard to know when and which ones.
I want to breed does that get pregnant easily.
Its not a good idea to keep a trait like that around.