Goat issues and questions

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
I believe along the lines of a hermaphrodite. They have both sex organs, but it results in being sterile.
Pretty sure that is not the case, as I know for sure all 3 of them have had babies.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I would copper bolus them and see what happens. Also, if you could get more selenium into them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are deficient enough not to get pregnant.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I think I would copper bolus them and see what happens. Also, if you could get more selenium into them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are deficient enough not to get pregnant.
I'll see what I can do.
Thanks everyone.

Oh! Is copper something I have to order online?

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Freemartin Doe
This condition is caused by the twins sharing the same placental attachments, allowing testosterone to cross over to the doe kid and preventing her reproductive organs from developing..doe will have very small teats and vulva.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I got mine from Jeffers Livestock. It's not cheap; it's about $35 for a whole lotta capsules. For 6 goats it will proabably last you years.

I'm serious, though, if someone needs some capsules I'd be happy to mail some out!

When I did my goats I broke off the end of a luer lock syringe, opened a capsule and poured 1cc/60# worth of the copper rods into the syringe. Then I capped the end of the syringe with a probios/red cell paste. I figured out after the 3rd goat that they actually would willingly take their dose since they loved the paste at the end!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
I got mine from Jeffers Livestock. It's not cheap; it's about $35 for a whole lotta capsules. For 6 goats it will proabably last you years.

I'm serious, though, if someone needs some capsules I'd be happy to mail some out!

When I did my goats I broke off the end of a luer lock syringe, opened a capsule and poured 1cc/60# worth of the copper rods into the syringe. Then I capped the end of the syringe with a probios/red cell paste. I figured out after the 3rd goat that they actually would willingly take their dose since they loved the paste at the end!
I'll take you up on that. PMing you.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No problem! Have fun in Anchorage!! I've always wanted to go to Alaska - the closest we've come is Spokane so we're almost there.