Goat milk soap

Kwynn

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for goat milk soap. Something natural and something easy. Not a whole lot though, i'm not interested in selling, I don't have that much milk yet!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi, I would try looking online. I have no experience in that at all. Sorry. But there is so much info out there online you should be able to what you are looking for.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think there is thread on BYC right now about soapmaking using milk.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yea, I am looking for information on this now myself. I would ask FarmerChick, I think she makes soaps out of goats milk?

FarmerChick, my goat is a Boer Nubian cross, I am assuming I can still milk her (her udder is HUGE and LOADED) and use that milk as I would if she was pure Nubian, right? (Ok well it is questionable whether she is pure or not, she was sold to us as a pure nubian, but I have had people tell us they think she's boer cross with nubian).

Really, I don't care what her genetics are as long as I can milk her!

I am wanting to make soap, cheese, and butter. Figure I will start with the soap, see how that goes...stock up my bathroom closet with soap so I won't have to buy any ever again ROTFL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail--doesn't matter what breed your goat is....all goat milk is usable.

Just make sure when you milk her, that you leave plenty for the baby goat to drink...LOL...my Boer's have small udders, so I only take so much milk and leave the babies nursing.

BUT yes you can make cheese, yogurt, etc. etc. from any milk. The difference comes in that some dairy breeds, like pure Nubians, Toggenbergs, etc. are higher fat content in their milk, etc. which just makes for taste and difference in products.

Go for it.

Just google, "soapmaking goat milk", and you will hit a ton of sites to tell you how to make it. Easy but messy! Messy, messy..the process is easy really, but time consuming and best to get a recipe off the internet to tell you ALL the steps required.

I tried cheese a long time ago but need all the milk for soap now. Sometimes when my does dry up and haven't kidded yet the next batch, I buy milk from another farm down the road....so I get by.

Just google "goat milk products" and you will see all the sites that you can make. Goat milk can do alot of things! :)

I love my goats...LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Ok, my goat has a pretty good sized udder...um...this may sound crazy, but can you post a pic so I can get an idea of what you mean by small udder?

:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry Quail my camera is broke.

but if you google --- dairy goats and check some pics of a Toggenburg or a Nubian or a Saneen....then you will see their udders practically hang to the ground. Full and round and big...LOL...they are true dairy breeds.

Boer goats are meat type goats. Big bodies for more meat and long backs for meat etc. Their udders will be about 1/2 of what a true dairy goat is.

When I refer to small udders, it is just that they aren't the giant udders of a dairy breed. they are still good sized...LOL

But remember that baby must nurse and don't take too much from Mom. Check the soap receipe you are going to make and see how many bars etc. and how much milk you need. You may have to milk for a few days to store up enough milk from 1 goat to make a batch.

See I have 30 goats now. So I can get alot of milk in a milking and most of my goats are older and throwing twins, trips and quads now so I have to leave alot of milk for babies.

there are good COW milk recipes for making soap also. Any milk works, emu, buffalo, llama, cow, you can milk it you can use the milk....

hope some of that helps ya! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thanks, FarmerChick! I am googling stuff now. Nugget only nurses out of one side, so Mama is walking around looking lopsided....thinking I'll milk the side Nugget refuses to nurse on?

I will make sure not to take alot!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
being that it is one baby and your momma is not a small mom, you can take most of that one side of milk to keep her from being lopsided.

when my goats have a single, they tend to nurse one side and leave the other also. So I do like you will do, take from the full side but not all....keep milk production moving evenly.

Isn't it wild the time we have to spend researching how to do something new....when I learned how to make soap and learn about goats etc. it took forever googling stuff...LOL---now I know so the research is over but now I am learning so much new stuff on the forum here I am finding myself googling info about stuff all the time again. LOL---well you know what I mean..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Isn't it wild the time we have to spend researching how to do something new....when I learned how to make soap and learn about goats etc. it took forever googling stuff...LOL---now I know so the research is over but now I am learning so much new stuff on the forum here I am finding myself googling info about stuff all the time again. LOL---well you know what I mean..HA HA
Yes, it is, but I feel it's worth researching and learning, right? I mean, if I am able to make our own soap, well, sure beats buying it! and I don't think I will worry with scenting it or anything...I mean, is that really important to being clean? LOL

Here's a question, how much milk do you get out of one milking? just wondering if it will take a few milkings to get a pint or more of milk?

Latest posts