Goat opinion needed!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of money for a goat, and she isn't that young, is that a normal price ? Can you find a young nanny that's pregnant (first time mum) ween the kid (or kids) off to sell and keep milking the mum.

I used to have a wild breed sheep ewe that I could milk.
Honestly, prices have been getting crazy lately. But yeah, she’s up there. I know that two years ago I could get a registered, tested, milk star line doeling for 200 and I thought that was expensive. Honestly I’m the opposite of sold so far. But, friend asked me to look. Might be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. In either case it won’t be my goat, I’m just there to give an opinion.
I know she’ll definitely want at least a second or third time milk goat. Fully comfortable with milking, no training required.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For a trained goat with good production, at least $350. More if registered. Also more if proven, dry and bred...450+. Mine will milk on or off a stand, by hand or machine, come when called.

I encourage a buyer to come milk if looking at mine. Like them to try the milk, also, when available. 🙂

Looking back at the pictures, I see a pretty typical Nubian that I'd look at if buying in mind. In last, she's taking a step which can alter her topline look, one leg up. She has decent body depth and yes, some bags dry up pretty small -- @farmerjan is used to cows 🤗. Even my heavy milkers can pull up tight -- some don't.
🤣🤣 can I come to your house🤣 I need a few of those.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They can, depending on goats production. Most will cut back heavily in last week of milking -- like shutting off the faucet. So, she'll pull up tight real fast. Those who want to milk thru will carry on seemingly forever and some carry a bag for a couple of months. I've got a few who will gladly skip a breeding and milk every day, just less than newly freshened. Saanen tends to like a long lactation. Nubian less so, and mine will dry faster.

Last one milking this year had slowed to 1/2 gal a day and within 10 days just stopped -- nubian. She's very pregnant and she felt it was time. Was gonna dry her anyway. 🤷😁

Its actually something anyone wanting home milk should consider. Taste, quantity and lactation length. Sometimes you find mixed breeds in a milk home to provide different product and production traits. Like the old Golden Guernsey cow🥰 oh, the cream!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i hope it works out well for both of them! :) i'm a bit confused though at i would never think for the first go-round anyone would want an animal with horns like that. can you wrap them with sponges?

Possibly wrap with pool noodles.
Honestly, it’s a learning curve anyway horns just add a little to that. This was the best goat available, so might as well learn with horns. They make the goat easier to catch and handle half the time any way.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Possibly wrap with pool noodles.

goatdeco!

Honestly, it’s a learning curve anyway horns just add a little to that. This was the best goat available, so might as well learn with horns. They make the goat easier to catch and handle half the time any way.

it will be interesting to hear how it goes for your friend. :)

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is there a pee pregnancy test for goats btw? We’d like to know if she’s pregnant, but I can’t draw blood and don’t want to put her through me trying. Seller said she was exposed, but didn’t know.