Goat question.....on post 10 I have more questions

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
IF I had two Saanen does and Saanen buck, and had them housed together would they only breed when they were in the fall rut?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi there!

It would depend on their cycles! Typically Swiss breeds like Saanens only cycle into the fall and winter but the cycles can be altered by lighting and even drugs.

But if you aren't doing any of that, the does shouldn't have gone into heat this summer unless there are hormonal issues. However, September is coming up, that means breeding season!

Are you planning on milking your Saanens?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
my saanen is starting to act moody.. i think she is starting to cycle. it seems early but i guess we are almost thru august.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Hi there!

It would depend on their cycles! Typically Swiss breeds like Saanens only cycle into the fall and winter but the cycles can be altered by lighting and even drugs.

But if you aren't doing any of that, the does shouldn't have gone into heat this summer unless there are hormonal issues. However, September is coming up, that means breeding season!

Are you planning on milking your Saanens?
We dont have any YET. But yes. I think maybe two does. It will be a while before we can get. Between money and the jungle pasture...it will be a while.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
do you really want a buck?

i take my gals to breeders - easy, cheap, and not stinky
:)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Bucks generally have a distinct smell, even when they aren't in rut, so if you house an animal that is milking with a buck, the milk will also carry the smell and have an unpleasant taste.
I always keep a wether with my buck and keep them on the opposite side of the property so the milk stays decent.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
My mom (bless her heart) is going to take care of them for the time being.
I don't know when I'll have my own land. I can't find any place out in the country to rent. Otherwise I would do that. We'll see.

If my mom finally decides to leave I fully support her selling everyone and I'll collect semen from Heathcliff (I have a friend with a nitrogen tank) and send him to stay with my step-grannies sister's daughter's. And then they can use him for their breeding and whatever - I'll never be able to find a buyer for him at his price.

I've been selling my bucklings from this year. I have a lady coming out the 24th to pick one up, then I'll have two left. My mom is selling her wethers at the sale barn, otherwise she will be down to four goats total and I'll be down to 8 (Including Heathcliff and the wether)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
How long does it take to milk a goat? Does she have to have company? What the basic idea of their housing?