Goat question.....on post 10 I have more questions

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Takes me a little longer to milk than 10 minutes :lol: I've only been goat milking for two months or so.
I've been meaning to pm you and ask, how IS your gal doing?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Wildsky said:
Takes me a little longer to milk than 10 minutes :lol: I've only been goat milking for two months or so.
I'm starting to dry her out, I'm scared to drink the milk after our other goat just died for no known reason :/ (he was only 3 years old and in perfect health till he suddenly got a swollen neck, under the chin area - and a week later he was dead, even after having the vet out - gave him a shot of penicillin and we gave him another two days later.)

I'll send Molly back when she's dried up - to the neighbors. My hubby's cousin has two baby goats and he is willing to give them to us. Twins, a little boy and girl - he's banding the little boy now, they're still too young to be separated from their mom.

I wasn't going to get another goat at all - but my horse needs a companion.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Blackbird said:
Wildsky said:
I'm starting to dry her out, I'm scared to drink the milk after our other goat just died for no known reason :/ (he was only 3 years old and in perfect health till he suddenly got a swollen neck, under the chin area - and a week later he was dead, even after having the vet out - gave him a shot of penicillin and we gave him another two days later.)

I'll send Molly back when she's dried up - to the neighbors. My hubby's cousin has two baby goats and he is willing to give them to us. Twins, a little boy and girl - he's banding the little boy now, they're still too young to be separated from their mom.

Sounds like your goat had bottle jaw, which is from a heavy worm load. Have you done a fecal on Molly to see if she's got a worm load? Sorry your goat died. :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Wildsky said:
Blackbird said:

Sounds like your goat had bottle jaw, which is from a heavy worm load. Have you done a fecal on Molly to see if she's got a worm load? Sorry your goat died. :(
Yikes. Did the vet run a fecal? Check the color of his inner eyelids? You can run out right now and check your girl's inner lids....I straddle mine and clamp my legs around their neck, then turn the eyelid inside-out (sort of) and it should ideally be a dark salmon pink. Not pale and certainly not white. Go check and let us know. You probably don't need to dry her off, but you may need to worm her.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do you have poisonous snakes or spiders in your area?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
The vet didn't really check for anything, he did feel Bucky's neck and said the gland in there was swollen too.
Bucky didn't have worms, not that we knew, he was a big chubby boy and didn't lose any weight suddenly or anything like that.

I'll check Molly out this evening when she's in the milk stand!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some parasites you don't see. Barberpole can be a huge problem and you don't realize it until they are gone. The animal doesn't have to look sick or skinny or anything. Also, strongyle and coccidia can be buggers too. Many times only a fecal will tell you if you have any problems.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm going to get some wormer for the horse then to be on the safe side, I wouldn't normally do it without knowing for sure.

What do you worm goats with? I know Molly is not our goat, but perhaps I should worm her anyway because she'll be here another couple of weeks or so at least.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You need to determine what worms (if) she has first, then worm accordingly. Don't worry about the horse....worms are species specific. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the worst goat worms don't infect horses.

That is why intensive rotational grazing methods work so well...running different species of animals through the paddocks, one after another, using the pastures while letting each set of worms die off before running that same type of animal on the paddock again.

Not that I do that myself yet, but don't worry about the horse is all I'm saying!