Goat question.....on post 10 I have more questions

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well its been 6 days since last post, so I hope no one minds me keeping to goats, but asking a few questions of my own. I have one female about 18 months old. I have recently had an increase in my property and can house a male goat about 600 yards or more from my yard. I am thinking on using my parents old chicken barn and run for him. If I do this, will he be far enough from my female to not affect the flavor of her milk?
I can put him much farther, but I would not be able to guarantee his safety.
Do ya'll milk once daily to get that half gallon or is it twice? I am having trouble keeping up on some of my chores and before I get my female serviced, I want to make sure I can make time to tend to the new chore. She doesn't have a friend, except the chickens and geese, which she seems to love, but maybe I can think on getting another female, because half a gallon will only take care of half our milk needs.
I read that goats are known as desert makers and I can see why because in just a few months, my female wiped out all the bloodweed, blackberry, poison ivy and low hanging bushes and branches in her fairly generous sized pen. Not sure about if I should attempt another female, but I can certainly think on it and decide later.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi Rhoda.

Yes 600 yards should be far enough away.

I milk twice a day; the more you milk, the more they will produce. This is usually to try to accommodate a kid's needs. It is totally up to you whether you want to do once a day or two. I would guess that once a day milking has more chance of mastitis than twice, though.

The amount of milk also depends on feed, breed, and bloodlines.

What kind of goat do you have?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My goat is a small mixed breed. She is pure white, stands about 30 inches high. Her ears droop, but not as much as a nubian. She is cleaning up my garden and has a lot of cleaning to do, so I am tempted to get the billy, so he can help her get it in shape for Fall.
So far I don't have much of a problem keeping her contained, contrary to what I heard I would have trouble with.
As far as goats go, she is very pretty. I would want to just hurry and arrange for her to be serviced, because I am not scared to milk her and I'm tired of paying about 150 dollars a month in milk, but I know my husband will want a better stable, with a milking station before that.
Ours will need to be high, off the ground, due to occasional floods. That won't be a problem because I can use my old house blocks, now that I am on 8 ft pilings.