Goat with small white pustules on udder?-GREAT UPDATE!!!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Both of our goats have developed small white pustules on their udders. They both just got over a few small cuts on their udders that happened after they busted through some wire and cute themselves on the way through. I'm thinking maybe a staph infection from the cuts? We keep the cuts cleaned out well while they were healing but these pustules popped up shortly after the cuts began healing. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Uhhhh....what's a pustule? Maybe a picture would help? I'm picturing little white pimples...

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Uhhhh....what's a pustule? Maybe a picture would help? I'm picturing little white pimples...
Yep. Little white pimple things. Looks exactly like a white zit. I can try to load some pics soon.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It may be a staph infection - we're dealing with that in one of our goats currently. It's clearing up fast now that I'm on the right treatment track. I bought chorhexidine wash (can be bought at a feed store but mine didn't have it so I bought the people version called Hibicleanse at the pharmacy). I wash the udder with it each night and rinse well. Then I make sure she's really dry and I apply Ammens powder. It's marketed as an after shower type powder, but it contains zinc. I apply it morning and night. It's been working very well to dry the bumps up. Our doe had what I believe to be bite wounds from the babies fighting over her teats (triplets) and then staph set in and spread.

So the wash cleanses it and keeps it from spreading and the Ammens powder dries it up. Aggieterpkatie told me about the Ammens powder - I'll keep some on hand now and jump on any bumps right away, before they have the chance to spread as they've done on me this time.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
where do you get this ammens stuff? is it people stuff or animal stuff?

:)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I've never heard of Ammens either - do tell!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
It's people stuff, but works really well for this! It's in the drugstore, near the other medicated powders (similar to GoldBond). :) And it's cheap!

Here's a link to it on Amazon.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Kala said:
Both of our goats have developed small white pustules on their udders. They both just got over a few small cuts on their udders that happened after they busted through some wire and cute themselves on the way through. I'm thinking maybe a staph infection from the cuts? We keep the cuts cleaned out well while they were healing but these pustules popped up shortly after the cuts began healing. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :)
That does sound like a staph infection. You could also try Bacitracin or Triple Antibiotic cream (assuming they are NOT currently nursing)
Hope that helps.
//BT//
Trim sends

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok so Dh is bringing home the chorhexidine wash (he was actually able to find it) and we're doing the ammens powder too. I'm a little nervous b/c Emily's has spread some on her udder, but I'm hoping that with the use of the powder that stops the spread. I've decided that she is just gonna be my problem child. :lol: B/c I'm also trying to convince myself she doesn't have a copper deficiency! Is it possible to have goat hypochondria? B/c if it is, I think I may have it...:gig

Seriously don't know what I'd do without SS and BYH. DH always laughs at me when I look at something and say, "I must go consult my people!"