goat wormer

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Parasites are probably the biggest issue with raising goats. Goats can die in a hurry from parasites. If you wait to see worms in their manure or discoloration of membranes, you won't have healthy goats. I nearly lost a bunch of goats by using Ivemectin or Safegard. It had no effect whatsoever on the parasites. Anytime your goats don't seem to be doing well, it is probably parasites. Short grass is not the problem, long grass is. My vet is Dr. Pohl, the guy on the National Geographic series The Amazing Dr. Pohl. He suggests that you divide your pasture in half and mow one side at a time to keep the grass shorter. He was very pleased with my method of controlling the grass. I run the goats to pasture during the day and the cattle at night, as needed, to control the grass. The parasites will not cross species, so this works well. He has us using Dectomax. This is the best thing I have ever found for worming goats. If you are running meat goats give the does a shot a couple days after giving birth. This will worm the babies also. I worm them again in 3 months when they are weaned, while I'm trimming hoves and tattooing. You may need to treat the does at that time also, depending on what breed you have. I breed in the fall so I worm again after the fall frosts begin, just before breeding (this is in Michigan). The bottle says to inject it under the skin of the neck, but Dr. Pohl always has us inject under the skin of the ribs.

Milk goats have other considerations. You can't use the milk for human consumption for 14 days after worming. I give the does a shot of Dectomax a day or two after kidding and then don't milk for two weeks. Then I milk in the mornings and let the kids have the rest of the day, penning them up at night. I also breed my milk goats in the fall so I also worm them just before breeding, unless I have a worm problem before then. You can either dry up the does before treatment or use the milk for other animals. Since I use a lot of my goat milk for feeding deacon calves, anytime I treat for anything, the milk just goes to the calves. This method works well for me. It is possible that you will need to change what you use for worming every few years. However, neither Safegard or the pellets will ever be on my list of things to us. I have tried both without success.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
actually around here barberpole worm is the BIGGEST risk to goats and barberpole worm cannot climb more than 3 inches...so Short grass is the biggest risk...
not sure how long Grass would be the biggest risk for worm, worm eggs are in the dirt, picked up when an animal is grazing (the eggs are not on the grass) goats arnt built to eat grass down to the roots its unnatural for them and puts them in greater contact with the worm eggs which are in the dirt itself...

one of the first things i learnt as a vet tech is worms, eggs and how there spread lol...
the eggs are IN the dirt so grazing short grass (close to the dirt) puts them at greater risk of consuming the worm egg...
unless were talking tape worm in which case being in contact with fleas and flies is the greatest risk...and heartworm obviously spread by skeeters...

You are right however that parisites build up resistance and some products are no longer as effective...
Here goat safeguard is pretty much useless against the common goat worms...but used as a dog dewormer you wont find anything better to kick round, hook and whipworm...lol.

Ivermectin is still very effective here, BUT most people dont dose correctly, they use horse ivermectin and dose at horse dosages when in fact they need to dose at 3 x dose (up to 10x is "safe")
around here the folks tending to have the most issue with worms are the folks keeping their goats on over grazed and dirt lots with no browse...
goats kept on more natural lots (that allow them to browse rather than graze) are seing a MUCH lower incident of worm loads and illnesses. Least thats according to our local ag-ext.

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I'm not Dr. Pohl so I can't argue the point with you. I'm just relaying what he told me. Since I have followed his advise my parasite problems have been completly under control. Next time I talk to him I might try to get an answer about how it works. There aren't many vets like Dr. Pohl. He will tell you anything you want to know, if you can keep up with him, and he won't charge you an arm and a leg for his time either. Probably why they are making a TV series about him.

Latest posts