Goat wound - icky warning - Pic of healing on page 2

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
So out new girlie Molly came with a bump on the side of her head, just below her ear kinda on her jaw bone area. I didn't think anything of it at the time, it was covered with hair still and just looked like perhaps a big wart or mole or something like that.

Yesterday morning, I noticed a pale off whitish horn shaped thing on it, it was dried puss which I found out after I wiped it with a cloth dipped in the udder wash. The more I wiped the more puss came out - like thick butter, it was aweful! I wiped as much as I could, she was NOT happy. I called my hubby to hold her head and I did the best I could to wipe it clean.

I pasted on some "PRID" a homeopathic drawing salve and left her with that on. This morning I tried to wipe it again but she wasn't thrilled, I cleaned it and left her.

Tonight with hubby home I asked him to hold her head still and I wiped it a little firmer than this morning, the whole thing burst open, not much puss just scabby tissue mostly - but it left a big HOLE in the bump, the hole is probably the size or a little smaller of a pencil!

I cleaned it as best I could and gobbed on more of the prid. There was no more puss coming out.

Is there anything else I can do? Should I perhaps use neosporin on it tomorrow?

I don't know what it is, or how it got there, it looks really painfull.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like Caseous Lymphadenitis.

Be VERY careful not to get ANY on yourself and especially not in any open cuts on the skin. etc. CL can be contagious to people and even other animals.

Be sure to separate her from your Boer and horse and keep her isolated until it finishes draining and heals over. Also, many times once it is spread on the ground and all over, the bacteria can stay in the soil and infect further animals. :/

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What is with lumps/bumps/abscesses lately? Geez. That other thread is mine. And I guess so is the one posted by gromit, seeing as that refers to the same goat as mentioned in my thread (gromit = my mum).

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Yup, sounds like Caseous Lymphadenitis.

Be VERY careful not to get ANY on yourself and especially not in any open cuts on the skin. etc. CL can be contagious to people and even other animals.

Be sure to separate her from your Boer and horse and keep her isolated until it finishes draining and heals over. Also, many times once it is spread on the ground and all over, the bacteria can stay in the soil and infect further animals. :/
I probably did get some on myself, I obviously tried not to as it was gross, but I wasn't wearing gloves or anything.

I have no place to separate her out from the others, I'm very worried but its stopped draining at this point anyway.

I can't figure out what the long term outlook is for this, does it heal and just go away or does it come back, will it make her weak or sick or die?

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It does sound like CL. We have used believe or not hard liquor such as whiskey or bourbon to clean it out. It seem to work really well. Just careful because she will not like it. As for yourself try a 10% cholorine wash. This was recommended by the vet for areas where the puss may have gotten and also on oneself. I realize it doesn't kill the bacteria that is in the CL, but my vet recommended it so just thought I would pass it along. Also burn anything that was used to clean up the wound area paper towels and etc.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She can keep getting abscesses. They can even happen internally. While some abscesses will heal and just go away, some could be deadly. The big thing is that if she keeps having abscesses, they break open and get on your ground, you just keep contaminating your ground further.

If you can, I would have her tested. It really is good to know if she had it or not.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
If you notice any abscesses on her udder, do NOT drink the milk, just in case!

:hugs

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
If you notice any abscesses on her udder, do NOT drink the milk, just in case!

:hugs
Thank you Blackbird, so far the one under her ear is the only one, and its healing up now.