Goats - Horns

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will be disbudding any kids who aren't headed for the butcher. I think it's somewhat different than docking or cropping. Those things are done for cosmetic reasons mainly, while disbudding is done to keep harm from being done to the animal or others in the future. I have a friend who rasied goats and was gored twice, once pretty severely, by horned goats. I don't want to risk that happening to one of my family, especially my kids.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Remember old timey pics of goats with the little knobs on the end of their horns? Cows used to have them also. Anyone know if this is an item one can still obtain and outfit your goats with....maybe a rubber horn tip that protects handlers and other goats?

FarmerChick! Can you post a pic or describe how you PVC/duct tape your goats after they get stuck? That ought to be interesting to see..... :)
Tennis balls would be great...save a person from getting the end of the horn anyway...course you'd have to get them to STAY on somehow.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They sell those horn tips in almost all feed type stores and if you can't find them there, you can get them thru catalogs like Jeffers etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Cool! I didn't know if they still had them! So, there ya' go, no disbudding due to getting stabbed by horns! My sis has Scottish Highland cattle, so I'll have to tell her about that. Might save a few injuries up her way.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Unfortunately although having something on the end of the horns might keep you from getting stabbed, it will not keep you from getting injured. The only goat I've had who deliberately uses his horns to poke is the one buckling. Mostly getting hurt by horns is when you are working with them and a head gets thrown back and, if you have a buck or aggressive doe, when they ram you or another goat. This is wicked without horns- with horns is a whole new level.
There are problems with disbudding or having horns- sooner or later you will be treating a broken horn or scur.
I think it is your experience that tells you which you find more difficult to live with. Which is better for your individual goaties at your particular place.

I like being able to medicate or worm by simply holding the head - I usually don't even need a collar for my girls because I just wrap my arm around their neck and hold their head next to my leg which is not something I could do safely with horned goats. Doing so with the little buckling usually ends in bruiises for me- with my 200 lb does, it would be impossible. I scratch and play with my girls all the time- they like it and I like it. Hoof trimming and worming are easy because of this- no struggles at all and I don't use any holding devices at all.

So again, each person takes their choice ask to what works for them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't like goats, so I won't be dealing with this at any point! :D My sisters had goats and I helped with the milking and such and never really got what folks saw in them. The babies are sure cute but, past that, I never really met a goat that I would have wanted to keep.

Like cows, though! Love horses, can tolerate sheep, like the chickens but don't feel the need to cuddle with them. Pigs? Had a sweet pig once but most of them don't appeal to me.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I love love love my goaties- they follow me around, they are funny and curious- they love to be scratched and talked to - they are endless entertainment. They think I'm pretty hot suff- it's hard not to like something that likes you in return.
My horse will come if they are interested (like they think food is involved) but they are quite clear that I'm pretty much an inconvenience that they put up with for the sake of the food and grooming. But I think the goats really are simply interested in what I'm doing. If I go out, they come to stay as near to me as they can.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea ETR my horses were like that. Humans are a pain to them...LOL.. unless the feed bucket is there!

Barb is lucky. She has a horse that loves her to death and wants to be near her constantly. He tries to get into the pool area when she is swimming. He is a cuddle bunny actually and that is rare that I have seen for a horse. Now her second one, could care less about her..HA HA HA

Yes my goats are babies also. See me on the porch they yell....see me in the driveway they yell......the old "hey, I am here, feed me"--LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My horse was a cuddler also...used to wait for me with his hoofs on the front steps....whinnied every time I'd pass by the screen door! Used to drive Dad crazy! Followed me like a dog and was my companion when I didn't have any. I could ride him without a bridle or saddle, just a halter and one lead rope...he neck reined beautifully.

Dad made me sell him. I can still hear him neighing, almost like screaming, as the truck drove away, his head sticking out over the racks looking back at me.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Oh another why I love goats moment- I saw some blackberries had taken root right next to the house so I pulled then and hung them over the fence- goats came right over so it will be compost by tomorrow.

Sorry Beekissed about your horse- that was awful. I hope he did find another friend wherever he went. Had something similar except I was an almost adult and could make them stop and give me my horse back. But the picture of your boy leaving makes me cry.

Latest posts