Going to save money this summer! Here's How!

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are going to line dry our laundry all the time. We do at least one load a day, so there's a huge financial impact as far as electricity.

Also, will wash more dishes by hand, since I usually end up filling the sink with hot h20 for soaking, i could just scrub, use cold for rinsing. Also, i use the sanitize feature, since I'm a little germaphobic, but I should really not do it all the time.

Also, we've cancelled our tv. I am watching free stuff from Hulu, and we have an attic full of VHS tapes, and some DVDs.

We've trained our cat to go potty outside. so no more cat litter.

The birds are free-ranging a lot more now, so that saves feed costs.

We're going to the library, so we can rent books and movies for free!

We are not going to use the AC. We'll sweat. which is cheaper.

We are going to turn off our extra freezer. It's mostly just got chickens in it, so we've been eating them all winter, and are down to just a few, and I think we can stuff them in our regular, fridge/ freezer.

We are going to pare down the kids clothes, so we end up washing less.

We are going to organize our towel situation, one towel per person, per week. Less laundry.

Drink more water. We will buy mixes when possible, instead of premixed juice, so I can blend half a can of lemonade up with ice and lots of water, cheaper than regular lemonade, and icy goodness.

Going to donate a LOT of stuff to goodwill, since clutter makes us poor, spending time cleaning around stuff wastes time that I need to spend on other stuff!

No camp for the kids this summer. I am twice as fun as any counselor, and we can go on buggy hikes anytime we want.

make popsicles, no premade, chemical laden, sweetened junk for us. just frozen juice.

We will swim for free, our neighbors have a pond, there's another pond about an hour's hike away, which incorporates some good exercise into the fun.

plus, we'll try to sell some duck and chicken eggs, to offset feed costs!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! That's an ambitious list. I wish you lots of luck with it. I really think many folks could do some or all of your things and be much happier and healthier for it. Good on ya mate.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
:clap Planning is half the battle! Sounds like you are going to have an awesome, fun family summer!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That's an awesome list. The best part IMO is that everything is easy, just a change in routine.

I'll never buy my son a book again. He "shops" on the online catalog and we go pick up the books at the local library 2 miles away.

I LOVE your cat training. I had a cat that pottied outside - in a fenced area. Be careful because saving "$0.01" on cat litter could cost you "$10" at the vet. If kitty can't come into contact with other cats, is wormed often, and has flea/tick protection, she (and you!) should be fine.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice list! I plan on a lot less energy consumption this summer as well. I am hanging clothes out now too, and hope to not turn the dryer on much if any all summer. With our heat and humidity and DH's asthma, it is almost impossible to not have the AC on some...but some will be only the hottest days and fans the rest of the time. Good list! :thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Keep us posted on how you make out. If it wasn't for my hubby, our AC would hardly be on at all. I can survive a lot better in the heat than he can. :/

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a great list. Should save quite a bit. Got a question about the *getting rid of kids clothes so you don't have as much to wash*. Now, I don't have kids so maybe I'm missing something ... but it would seem that fewer clothes = washing more often. That is, less to wash, but washing more often. I would think that, if you already have the clothes, you should keep those that fit; maybe wear them a time or two more than you (your kids) do now, and make sure you have a full load before you wash. Fewer clothes, I can imagine, might make it harder to make up a full load. Half a load every day is less efficient than a full load every two days. But, like I said, I don't know the logistics of keeping kids clothes clean :p

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One towel per person? We don't wash our towels that often in summer time, because after we use them, we hang them out to line dry. If they start to smell, or look dirty (and they shouldn't), then yeah, they can be washed, but otherwise, the towels don't need to be laundered as often.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds good.We don't have any cats,so that's out.

I'll turn off my A/C just before I run out of food.Here in Mississippi June-September daytime temperatures are usually 95degrees or higher.No Sir,the A/C stays on as long as I have the money to pay for it.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
One towel per person? We don't wash our towels that often in summer time, because after we use them, we hang them out to line dry. If they start to smell, or look dirty (and they shouldn't), then yeah, they can be washed, but otherwise, the towels don't need to be laundered as often.
WOW- Our towls never completely dry out here, too much humidity in the Ohio Valley. And boy do they start to stink!

:rolleyes: