Going to save money this summer! Here's How!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tried it all in ways to be frugal and save. I save to spend on my vacations...that is my key reason for being frugal. To have cash for my relaxing vacations and yup it is worth it.

I tried line drying...towels came out so stiff they could stand on their own...lol...so I dryer towels now. But t-shirts, etc go out on the line....so I am 1/2 line and 1/2 dryer now instead of 100% line.

Power....switched to all CFL bulbs in the home and save $30 a month just doing that and with free bulbs from my power company also...:lol: BUT the light wasn't enough in my master bath so I switched back to 4 candescants in that room for good light.

AC--sure I cut it up a few degrees but I will never give it up. Same with heat.....these are comfort for me and I have to sleep so AC cool it is for nightime sleeping.

I turned off 2 extra refrigs we used for farming.

I won't not wash towels...lol...I just am a clean freak type and 1 towel for 2-3 days tops...tops....and I can just live with that lol

try things. I did...then re-work and change around all you need to so things fit into your life comfortable.

Like WZ always said--she keeps her house at 70 deg. in winter, she doesn't care about the bill, she cares about her comfort.

everyone has their levels of comfort and what you are willing to pay for to suit your family......good luck cutting the bills and saving money!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did no AC last summer. It was really tough for a week or so. But we have a garage under our house. It stays rally cool so we hid down there.

Good luck on your list.

g

anniem

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm planning on some of those things--like no camps. We'll get a pool pass and go places we're already members of.
I like line drying...the stiff towels are annoying but it didn't bother me too much, once you start to use one it softens pretty quickly from the moisture.
I have read in a couple of places that dishwashers are more efficient than hand washing, although this likely depends on your machine and your dishwashing habits.
Our weather is pretty mild, I save the AC for particularly miserable days. It usually cools enough at night that we can cool the house then close everything up in the morning so we have maximum time before the house heats up--it's a process but worth it.
I'm also going to try and use the bus as much as possible, save on gas for the driving as well as the a/c.