Good Deal on a 45 Watt Solar Kit

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has their 45w Solar Panel kit on sale right now. Their "normal" price is 249.99, and if you go to their web site you'll see it on sale for 219.99. However, if you know anyone that receives their catalogs, they have one that came out recently with the price of 169.99. The same catalog offers a coupon for an additional 20% off any one product. Once the coupon is applied the cost is 136.99.

The kit contains three 15w solar panels, mounting hardware, a distribution module and adapters that allows you to power devices that are either 3, 6, 9, or 12v, two compact fluorescent lights, and battery clamps for charging batteries. Add a storage battery and an AC inverter to power small 120v appliances.

This isn't anything that will reduce your utility bills, but it would be great to have for power outages or for a remote outbuilding. I had one a few years ago, but lost the outbuilding to a downed tree during an ice storm. They are hard to beat for the price.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great spotting - thanks!

dotcha just love/hate harbor frt?

:)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
dotcha just love/hate harbor frt?

:)
I do indeed love Harbor Freight. However you need to be careful as some of their products are just too cheaply made to be of any real use, but they do have some great bargains.

A good site for reviews on their products is Harbor Freight Reviews. The site is not organized very well, so it can sometimes be hard to locate just what you are looking for. It is well worth the effort though, especially for larger ticket items.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I purchased one of those kits a while back. I thought I had a steal at $160, but you really did get a steal!

As you know, I ended up returning it, see here: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2025

But I went for the whole house solar install and am happy I did.

I found this interesting article the other day about "DIY solar"
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/08/17/plug.in.solar.energy/index.html?hpt=Sbin

They are overly optimistic in the article and some of their numbers are way off, but in general I like where they are headed!

BTW, a great video about the HFT system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caeEyhJZnTs

Funny assembly video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LiDkCLAsHE

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've seen those, and have been really curious about them. I'll admit to knowing nothing about solar panels. But, I have an 8 x 12 tack/feed shed out where I have my horses. I keep all my first aid supplies in it. Only problem being, if I were to need them in the dead of winter, they'd be frozen solid.

I would love to be able to put a small electric heater in, as well as a light, and a plug for a fan, or whatever. But, since it's only 45 watts, I didn't know if it would be big enough. I know I was reading the box, and it said you needed an inverter, but I don't recall now what size. I've often wondered if I could do something w/solar power

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
While it would be fine for lighting and a small fan, it wouldn't even come close to supporting a heater. Electric Heat is so inefficient that it is not very practical even on large solar power system.

A possibility may be to put the items that you are worried about freezing into an ice chest. Then run a small (5 or 10w) incandescent light bulb in the ice chest to provide warmth. It should keep everything in the chest above freezing. You could possibly put it on a timer or a thermostat, so that it's only on occasionally. Just a thought.

Also, a solar space heater could warm the shed on days with sun, to take some of the load off of the solar system. I believe that it was xpc who posted on one that he built.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Even a small heater, like a 500 watts baseboard heater turned on low? I don't need it to be super warm in there. And, my hubby is going to insulate it, just hasn't had time-he's been working a lot of overtime lately. I had thought of putting a propane heater in, but then I'd need to constantly be buying propane, and that adds up.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Maybe some of the members that have functioning solar set-ups can chime in, but I really don't believe that the 45w (3 x 15w) panels would work in this situation. Even if they received full sun for the entire amount of daylight hours (which isn't really possible), you'd run out of power fairly quickly even with the heater set to 100w output.

You would have to store the power in batteries, then convert it to 120v with an inverter for the heater to use. You'll lose a lot of efficiency in the conversion.

Do a search for "solar power calculator" and you can find some online help to figure out what type of system that you would need, to do what you want.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread b/c I saw this in a flyer for $149...& am giving it more thought now. But, aside from a light & small fan, what else could be run by it? Like...would it re-charge my laptop? Would it run a toaster? Yes, I'm electricity-challenged. :/