Got a free rabbit hutch

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice hutch!

You feed them tons of hay basically, and a cup (or less)of pellets a day. No alfalfa or very little, that leads to too much calcium and then uterine stones.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What are the dimensions? All of my girls have been bonded, and they squeeze into tiny places with eachother.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rabbits...pfft...I'd use that as a luxury chick brooder! :p :hide

Just kidding, well, only about the pfftt part - I probably would use that for chicks or a couple hens instead but only because my bunny rabbit days are over and I have no intention of going back there......yet.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm jealous! I've been looking for cheap cages for several months now and all I can find are little bitty ones that I wouldn't be able to fit a nest box in.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
What are the dimensions? All of my girls have been bonded, and they squeeze into tiny places with eachother.
It's pouring rain here right now, but I'd say the wood house is 2'x2' and the outside cage part is 2' by 3'....ish.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Checkout the breeds at the show but don't buy until you have had time to think about why you want a rabbit....meat....pet....fiber. When you decide to buy try to go to the breeders farm for pickup. Rabbit show are very stressful for the rabbit and since moving them to your home will be added stress why not just stress them once. That pen would be a great size for a small or medium breed, probably to small for the giant breeds. If you are going for a fiber producing rabbit, talk to someone who raises them for the fiber. Fiber rabbits take more daily care than a short haired rabbit. A matted fiber rabbit is a sad animal indeed...I have had to help remove mats from Angora rabbits who were so matted that they had to be sedated and shaved. Check out the heritage beeds of rabbits on the www.albc-usa.org site. Rabbits are great pets and livestock, no noise, very little odor, fairly inexpensive to feed because you are not buying feed or hay by the ton. Do your research, decide on a breed, and have FUN.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Checkout the breeds at the show but don't buy until you have had time to think about why you want a rabbit....meat....pet....fiber. When you decide to buy try to go to the breeders farm for pickup. Rabbit show are very stressful for the rabbit and since moving them to your home will be added stress why not just stress them once. That pen would be a great size for a small or medium breed, probably to small for the giant breeds. If you are going for a fiber producing rabbit, talk to someone who raises them for the fiber. Fiber rabbits take more daily care than a short haired rabbit. A matted fiber rabbit is a sad animal indeed...I have had to help remove mats from Angora rabbits who were so matted that they had to be sedated and shaved. Check out the heritage beeds of rabbits on the www.albc-usa.org site. Rabbits are great pets and livestock, no noise, very little odor, fairly inexpensive to feed because you are not buying feed or hay by the ton. Do your research, decide on a breed, and have FUN.
Thank you for this advice! Yes, I thought I'd just go to the show to look. I would really like a rabbit for the fiber, but also as a pet.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The hutch is all ready, but it's still vacant! I've decided a bunny will be my mother's day present! :)

So, I'm still not sure which breed to get. I'd like the angora, but would I have to brush it EVERY day??? I can't imagine going out into the snow to brush a rabbit. :/ Do I just brush it daily during the warmer seasons?