Got a gun today.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seriously. I don't know much about them, but I am learning. I have only ever shot a gun once. WHen I was a teenager, some friends were target practicing with a hand gun. I missed. Just hit the ground. (Nothing happened. LOL)

That was almost 20 years ago. DH John & I have been discussing the possibility of getting a "house gun." I mean, out in the country, you never know when you are going to stand off against a rabid fox or something. (It could happen!)

Well, my boss is a gun collector and gun smith. He has hundreds of them, mostly in safes in his house. And mostly shot guns or rifles from what I gather. Because I was nosily asking too many questions after writing a check for his "collectibles" insurance a couple of months ago for him, I learned that he has hundreds of guns valued at around $250,000. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm trying to brag on him. I only mention it because it is inconceivable to me! I think I am hoping for confirmation that this is an absurd number of guns. It's not just me, right? That's pretty outrageous?

I had mentioned to him that I was in the market for one. I wanted an inexpensive model that wasn't terribly deadly. ... So he brought me a 410 today & a couple of shells so I can try it out. LOL

Geeze! I'm sorta nervous.

Cassandra (Please don't freak out. I do understand basic gun safety. :) )

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I am absolutely NO GOOD with shotguns or rifles, but put a pistol in my hand and look out varments!!

Living in the country, I too think you need a house gun, and I personally have been hounding my DH to get one. So far *knock on wood* I haven't needed one, but like you said, you just never know!

My advice is when you go to shoot it, make sure it is in the soft pocket of your shoulder, and NOT on your collar bone....hope you fair better with it than I did!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is wonderful, Cassandra! Now go easy on your man, its common knowledge that women are better instinctive shooters then are men! :lol: Don't brag too much when you turn out to better than him!

I can't wait to get my own gun! Been waiting until the kids are out of the house before I buy anything other than the .22 or shotgun that we have now. I would like a good handgun and a bigger guage shotgun, as we only have a .410.

Ugly Cowboy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That is wonderful, Cassandra! Now go easy on your man, its common knowledge that women are better instinctive shooters then are men! :lol: Don't brag too much when you turn out to better than him!

I can't wait to get my own gun! Been waiting until the kids are out of the house before I buy anything other than the .22 or shotgun that we have now. I would like a good handgun and a bigger guage shotgun, as we only have a .410.
How come yall are waitin till the kids are out? Heck I had a .22 when I was 7, a 12 gauge when I turned 10, and a 30-06 when I turned 15, and I aint ever had an accident with 'em!

And another thing... Women are better shooters than men?! Keep tellin yourself that, maybe yall will believe it someday!:lol: :duc

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: I did clarify "instinctive" shooters! Its been proven, you know! :lol: My mom always gets the biggest turkey on the first day of the season, makes Dad madder than an old wet hen! She has won the big turkey contest several times....and she is 73 years old, 5 ft. tall, 105 lbs. ,soaking wet...can barely drag the bird out of the woods. I'm a crack shot myself! :cool:

I'm waiting until the boys are gone, because I have one that I wouldn't trust with a BB gun, let alone a firearm. They've been taught proper gun safety, we keep the ammo locked up, etc. But...it takes only one time for that one kid to do that one dumb thing. I'd rather wait! I have two that I can trust, one that I can't...that's just the way things are sometimes.

Ugly Cowboy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
LOL There aint one woman in my entire family that can hit the broad side of a barn, and I've tried to teach 'em, so yall must have some neat folks in your family! But I'll tell ya, what the ladies in my family lack in aimin ability, they make up for in cookin! Dang it, my Nana makes the best fried chicken, fried squirrel, baked coon, mashed potatoes and gravy, potpies and cracklin bread I've EVER ate!!! And my Ma makes pumpkin and apple pie like no other. So I guess thats alright then as long as we men keep the fridge stocked with food, otherwise they'd probly starve to death! :lol: :smack

And dang it about your buckaroo. Maybe he'll eventually grow out of it... LOL when my Uncle got me my first gun (Red Ryder) when I was 4, I took it outa the box and pointed it at the person on the TV, and he took his belt off and whooped me so hard I couldnt set for a week! Needless to say, thats the last time I ever pointed the gun at a human (TV or not) again! LOL I still get teased about that sometimes!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
When hubby and I took the gun safety course for our licenses we used our Glock 23's. I outshot both him and the instructor, and I hadn't had much experience previously. Not bragging, but the instructor also said most women were better at target shooting than men, but not as many participated.

We have guns, along with gun safes - everything's locked up tight, if a bad guy came in here we'd never be able to get to them, thanx to the nanny state of Massachusetts :thun

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
When hubby and I took the gun safety course for our licenses we used our Glock 23's. I outshot both him and the instructor, and I hadn't had much experience previously. Not bragging, but the instructor also said most women were better at target shooting than men, but not as many participated.

We have guns, along with gun safes - everything's locked up tight, if a bad guy came in here we'd never be able to get to them, thanx to the nanny state of Massachusetts :thun
Pretty much what she said! When I took my hunter safety, the instructor said women were noted as better shooters-more accurate.

Also, our guns must be locked in one safe, and the ammo must be locked in another, and all guns must have atrigger lock on them, in the gun safe.

Also, we are not allowed to hunt with handguns. In fact, the govt. makes it so difficult to even own handgun. My dh wishes we could since there are many times when he has been out moose hunting, and saw a grouse. it would be much easier to take thegrouse with a handgun, etc.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony hunts and he has at least 10 rifles. No handguns.

I despise guns. I know me, I will shoot myself...LOL...I don't like the noise of shooting, the possible danger from them, etc. Just not me. But I sure defend the rights of people to have them! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Tony hunts and he has at least 10 rifles. No handguns.

I despise guns. I know me, I will shoot myself...LOL...I don't like the noise of shooting, the possible danger from them, etc. Just not me. But I sure defend the rights of people to have them! :)
When my dh started hunting, I was unsure about guns. I took the hunting course just b/c if we had guns in the house, I wanted to know how to use them and be comfortable with them. Now I hunt occasionally.