Got a gun today.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey north
cool you overcame and decided to see what shooting was all about.

me, just simply no desire to shoot a gun, ever. I don't know why, you'd think I would...cause when varmints invade or anything, I sure tell Tony to go get the gun...HA HA

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's fine to say 'there were guns in our house when I was growing up and I'm still here" but remember that is NOT true for a number of kids, it's just that they're no longer around to say so.

No guns here til there aren't any kids in the house (and possibly til DH and I get along more reliably, too :p), although I can see the merits of having one for varmints (I would *prefer* to kill livetrapped raccoons rather than release) and in case of a midnight horse emergency of the terminal variety.

JMO,

Pat

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My kids grew up with guns in the house and learned gun safety. During their teen years especially they were trigger locked if they were out of the safe - and no, they had absolutely no access to the combinations, they're very good safes, not Wal-mart specials. But they knew how to shoot them, and went shooting with their father. It isn't the gun that's the problem, it's ignorance, which is best treated by education early on.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know about you ladies but I definitely feel a surge of power with a gun in my hands....especially a pump shotgun! Something about jacking that shell in the chamber that makes my liver quiver! :lol:

We are bowhunters in our family, but the boys were taught gun safety all over each year of their lives every squirrel and turkey season, just because.

Now, though, with the air soft pellet guns, they've gotten in the habit of having "battles" just like in paint balling. We didn't have such things when we were growing up, and it seems to make fuzzy that line between reality and play, I think. My boys know the difference but it still makes me a little nervous when they get a real gun in their hands, so I watch 'em like a hawk, even though they are 22, 18, 16 yrs. old. Too much horseplay at that age for my comfort! :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would *prefer* to kill livetrapped raccoons rather than release) and in case of a midnight horse emergency of the terminal variety.

*******we shoot trapped coons and skunks etc. they reek havoc at the farm. What happened is so many farmers around us sold out and now there are $400K plus homes there, and all the critters came to our farm to live...LOL...too many.

And my horse when she passed about 7 mos. ago from twisted gut, ugh, instead of paying the $125 from the vet to do it, Tony just shot her.....we have backhoes and such and it was over fast.

So yup, guns do have their purpose on farms.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took the gun home last night and (dh) John was like, "What is that for?!" :ep (like he was in trouble LOL)

Once he got over the initial shock, I was surprised to learn that he actually knows how to handle a gun. Apparently he had an uncle that took him hunting a few times when he was a kid.

We didn't shoot it last night. I've noticed that our neighbors mainly only do their recreational shooting on the weekends. So we are going to abide by that unspoken rule.

I've already looked into the hunting safety classes offered around. After we see what the hurricane is going to do, I'm going to sign up for one.

So far, our five year old is on a "don't touch it. period." rule. Once John & I feel comfortable with it, we'll start teaching him about gun safety. So, right now it is just WAY WAY WAY out of his reach.

I gather that Mississippi is pretty lax as far as trading firearms goes. I had asked, before I was ready to get one, if you had to get registered or ... you know... what you have to do to legally own a gun and the boss's son told me, "you give them the money, they give you the gun."

I got to work this morning and asked Mr. C (the boss) "John said I can keep the gun. What do I owe you for it?" and he said, "As long as you want to keep it, you don't owe me anything. But if you decide you don't want it, you have to give it back to me."

Fair enough!

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good deal on the gun cassandra....just use until done..HA HA

5 years old is a tough age, I would be cautious with my kid also. No doubt about that. every person "has their ready time" for learning about guns.

I want another horse for me (since mine passed 7 mos. ago from twisted gut) but waiting til Nicole (3) is about 5 then I will buy 2 horses and she can learn to ride.

So all things in good time. Never a reason to push in life that I know of..LOL

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have only .22 & shotgun with the kids and even those are in a really good safe with triggers locked. I want my kids to learn gun safety, but kids being kids, well...

My mom still brags about all the marksmanship contests she won. She can't remember what she had for lunch (or even if she had lunch.) But she gets a twinkle in her eye when she talks about what a great shot she is. I think women are better suited to shooting than men.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think women are better suited to shooting than men.

********Women always love to win! No matter what!!
:)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't know about you ladies but I definitely feel a surge of power with a gun in my hands....especially a pump shotgun! Something about jacking that shell in the chamber that makes my liver quiver! :lol:
My 1911 does that for me! ;)