Got a meat smoker today...do you have any recipes?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I would love your favorite chicken, pork or beef recipe. Also any dry rubs or saucesor wood chips you use. Times and temps would be appreciated, too. I'm really anxious to try it out.

MrsCountryChick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We too have a smoker.....sadly it's been a Reeeealy long time we've had it & have Yet to use it. Ours is an electric smoker on the recommendation that it's better with electric that way outside on a windy day our heat source won't blow out ;)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a home made smoker. I tried (for the first time) to smoke a big hunk of beef. I looked up a dry rub recipe on the internet and put that on the beef. I also got BBQ sauce, added honey, mustard and ketchup to it. We let the dry rub cook on it for the first hour and then just kept basting it with the BBQ sauce.
The hubby has made venison jerky in it and I love it. We havent tried fish yet, actually hubby did, bullheads. I was not in the mood to try them. He says they are yummy.
Try the internet for recipes if no one has any.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Thanks, I did go to the internet and found what I think will be a great dry rub. Tomorrow, I'm going to fill it full of 5 different flavors of chicken wings: lemon-pepper, cajun, dale's marinade, italian dressing and the spicy dry rub.

I bought a 10 lb. bag of plain wings at Sam's club for $12. Right next to it, they had a 4 lb. buffalo flavored sauce wings for the same price. I'll do it myself and save some money. I am going to freeze them and pull out as many as I need. ;)

ChickenTender63

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are only a couple of hard, fast, set rules to using a smoker.
1. Use wood for your fuel. DO NOT use charquel briquets, those were made for a grill.

2. Use a dry rub on your meats. Do not marinade your meats in Dales or anything else.

3. There are good recipes for rubs either in cook books, or on the net to start, but ultimately over time, you will modify them to your tast.

4. Cook at 225 degrees +/- 10. If you feel the need to cook hotter than this, then do not fire up the smoker, switch to the grill. You are only going to waste a piece of meat.

Smokers are made to slow cook and provide the smoke flavour. By marinating meat prior to smoking, you are relly defeating the purpose. Use the grill if you feel the need to marinate your meat first.

Remember: BBQ is made by slow cooking under wood fire, smoking. Ribs will take 3-4 hrs, Pork shoulder for pulled pork will take 12, and a brisket can take up to 16-18. Whole chicken 4 hrs and turkey 6-8 hrs.
DO NOT RUSH IT.

If you want meat quicker than that, fire up the grill.

I mainly use oak or hickory, but apple, pear and other woods also work well. It just depends on what you have in your locale.

Don't dispare when your first couple of times go south on ya. It takes time learning how to do it. But, when you have it down, Oh Lawd Have Mercy, it will be pig kissin good!

Good luck :D

hollybird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i start with brown sugar and salt. wine and mustard are good too.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
ChickenTender63,

I gotta disagree with you on not marinating your meats. I marinated some wings in Dales and in Italian Dressing overnight. I used hickory chips and doing both really complimented each other.

I also did some with just a lemon pepper rub and they are already gone. Next time, I think I'll just fill up the whole smoker with lemon pepper wings. ;)

A couple of days ago, my son's BFs brought us some pear wood. I think it would really compliment a pork meat. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different woods, rubs, sauces and marinades.