Got Chicken Nipples?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hehe.. after checking out the chicken fountain over in the do it yourself thread I decided to check them out on amazon and put some on my wish list.. well the price dropped $2 last week and I ordered them! I ended up buying 10 for $11.98 and a whole week before they were due to arrive they did! :D :celebrate I love when stuff shows up early.. but anyhoo I had hubby look in his drill bits for the size of drill bit needed before I went to the hardware store and sure nuff he had not only one 11/32 but 4! I guess it paid off me buying him huge sets of drill bits and other things like socket sets and other things for his Christmas and birthday!
I had a few buckets that I had picked up for .99 cents each at the bakery thinking I'd tap the sugar maples out back but I didn't get to this year due to the back problems I have flaring up. so I took one of them and hubs drilled 4 holes in, we wrapped a bit of teflon tape round the threads of the chicken nipples and screwed them in! I did have to use a wrench but I have arthritis in my hands and this was easier than muscling them in with my fingers. If you had a good strong hand it probably would have been a breeze.
We took it out to the pen.. I have a big plant hook drop down thingy that I use on the deck and we hooked the bucket to the fencing(chainlink so it is strong) had to adjust it a bit higher and my grand daughter and I clicked the red/silver nipples to make the water drip and while it took about an hour for them to overcome their fear and peck at within two hours they were all out there drinking! less mess and it is a 3 1/2 gallon bucket and the water stays poo free and clean! they drank about a gallon or so last night before it got dark and hubs filled it this morning and I can see the all using it. I'll be making another one soon so that they will have two as I do have about 30 chickens back there. So when I make the next one I'll take pictures and put them up as I go along.
and I'll still have two nipples left for making brooder box watering jugs too. I'm thinking a big pitcher with the open handle(plastic of course) and then the handle can slide right over the big rubbermaid box I use as their early brooder here in the house and sit just right. no more poo water in the house! and less mess in the brooder box.. YIPPEE!!!:weee :ya

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Hehe.. after checking out the chicken fountain over in the do it yourself thread I decided to check them out on amazon and put some on my wish list.. well the price dropped $2 last week and I ordered them! I ended up buying 10 for $11.98 and a whole week before they were due to arrive they did! :D :celebrate I love when stuff shows up early.. but anyhoo I had hubby look in his drill bits for the size of drill bit needed before I went to the hardware store and sure nuff he had not only one 11/32 but 4! I guess it paid off me buying him huge sets of drill bits and other things like socket sets and other things for his Christmas and birthday!
I had a few buckets that I had picked up for .99 cents each at the bakery thinking I'd tap the sugar maples out back but I didn't get to this year due to the back problems I have flaring up. so I took one of them and hubs drilled 4 holes in, we wrapped a bit of teflon tape round the threads of the chicken nipples and screwed them in! I did have to use a wrench but I have arthritis in my hands and this was easier than muscling them in with my fingers. If you had a good strong hand it probably would have been a breeze.
We took it out to the pen.. I have a big plant hook drop down thingy that I use on the deck and we hooked the bucket to the fencing(chainlink so it is strong) had to adjust it a bit higher and my grand daughter and I clicked the red/silver nipples to make the water drip and while it took about an hour for them to overcome their fear and peck at within two hours they were all out there drinking! less mess and it is a 3 1/2 gallon bucket and the water stays poo free and clean! they drank about a gallon or so last night before it got dark and hubs filled it this morning and I can see the all using it. I'll be making another one soon so that they will have two as I do have about 30 chickens back there. So when I make the next one I'll take pictures and put them up as I go along.
and I'll still have two nipples left for making brooder box watering jugs too. I'm thinking a big pitcher with the open handle(plastic of course) and then the handle can slide right over the big rubbermaid box I use as their early brooder here in the house and sit just right. no more poo water in the house! and less mess in the brooder box.. YIPPEE!!!:weee :ya
Watch the chicks peeps like a hawk they often have problems with nipples, and tend to die fast In a hot brooder Of course the same can be said about convential waterers too Chicks are not very bright.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I always get a laugh when I see someone talking about chicken nipples. Now, if we could just figure out how to milk the dang things!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:yuckyuck on all of your posts! I get so excited over the littlest things! :lol:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I always get a laugh when I see someone talking about chicken nipples. Now, if we could just figure out how to milk the dang things!
:yuckyuck

Ah, it's the simple things in life.......... hahahahahahaha!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ya'll want to see something even funnier, just go in TSC and ask one of their people where they keep the chicken nipples. R did that last week, and you should have seen the look on the guys face :p

Emerald, i ordered some of those too from Amazon the other day with my Swagbucks Amazon codes I had saved up :) I can't wait till they get here!!! I plan on making a few buckets for the chicken tractors and one for the brooder when they get here.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Ya'll want to see something even funnier, just go in TSC and ask one of their people where they keep the chicken nipples. R did that last week, and you should have seen the look on the guys face :p

Emerald, i ordered some of those too from Amazon the other day with my Swagbucks Amazon codes I had saved up :) I can't wait till they get here!!! I plan on making a few buckets for the chicken tractors and one for the brooder when they get here.
my local TSC doesn't carry them and a friend of mine works there.. she almost popped a cork laughing when I asked if they carried them before I ordered. lol
I have to say that they have a problem at TSC with their ducklings(and the mess) and that bucket/nipple set up would really benefit them if they would get them in stock and promote them but you know that they won't cuz they want the big bucks from the other set ups. I just feel sick about how much I've spent on the other types due to the plastic getting brittle in winter and being icky.
I am planning on buying a small bird bath heater(I worry, like others, that the fish tank heater will burn out if the water level drops too much.) for this winter-they sit at the bottom of the water and should really keep the water warm enuf to keep the nipples free from ice in most conditions. I will also move the bucket inside the coop in one corner where I have the electric set up.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's a good idea too. I guess I should be pricing a few of those.