1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Real Men eat Veggies (and other Healthy meals) - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Got it free - whatever it is??

Discussion in 'Frugal Living - Making and Saving Money' started by Joel_BC, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jan 11, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Pallets are a huge commodity here. People use them for building and firewood. If you don't grab them when you see them, they will be gone. People believe in re-use here. Shipping containers of various sizes are very common sheds.

sumi and Beekissed like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

Same here. And of course I usually see them when I'm in the small car, on the way to the doctor's office or something like that; by the time I can get back home and grab the truck, they're gone.

Beekissed likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

@Britesea that happens to me too! Yesterday I saw an entire storage shed by the road, one of the small red barn style sheds, and I had NO way to pick it up, two guys were already there checking it out before I saw it anyway...
    @Beekissed , those are really nice pallets! I think my pallet pile is down to 4, so it's time for me to start looking again!

Beekissed likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

That's what I was afraid of...when I saw these I was in the car, so bright and early the next morning I hitched up the trailer to the truck and snagged my son, Eli, to help me if they were still there. They were!

They had been picked through pretty badly and some of the best ones were frozen solid to the pavement, but we were able to get a few nice ones all the same. And that large box thingy, which will convert easily to nesting boxes for my maternity ward.

We were skating on black ice to get these pallets, so we put down some pallet scraps to walk on for loading and walked VERY carefully. What a person will do for free stuff, huh? :D

treerooted, sumi and Hinotori like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

On CL today there were free ducklings (30+) a "sweet, tame" ram and two old mares...all different locations. So proud of myself :D None coming here. Some free things just aren't.
    :hideThe mares were considered. But unbroken to ride pets. Beautiful animals and well cared for...but..$$$ burners.

baymule likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

I wish I knew where to get free pallets here. They are sought after and usually sold instead of given away. Any potentially free ones (damaged) get broken up for fire wood. I may give in and just buy a few soon, I want some to build a small coop for my hens.

7. Jan 12, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Another's trash is our treasure. :) Bless them for tossing it!!! Often we can save a lot of $$$ &/or make things happen that would not otherwise by repurposing "finds".

It's one of the reasons I like to drive my truck rather than car.:clap

8. Jan 12, 2018
    treerooted

treerooted Almost Self-Reliant

Pallets are easy to come by here, but they're not the good quality ones they used to be. So we just stock up a truck load full sometime each year. And my DH will grab really good ones if he sees them.

9. Jan 13, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Two anniversaries ago, I looked on Craigs List and saw FREE BARN CLEAN OUT. I guess you know where we went......When we got there, a lady had loaded up a chick brooder that I really wanted. My husband talked her out of it for $100. It is 3 sections plus a roller base. ONE section is over $250! Not really free, but darn near. At the same place we also got a sewing machine and case, pet carriers, an old double sink and a nest box.

IMG_0348.JPG

We got a bench with rotted wood, but the ends are still good! The rolls of wire in the back ground were a Craigs List find, about a fourth of the price if we bought them at the store.

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

The double sink and a pet carrier. The bathtub to the right was free also from a different scrounging trip. Lol

IMG_0350.JPG

The $100 brooder. NO MORE RAISING CHICKS IN THE HOUSE IN BOXES!

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

sumi, Beekissed and milkmansdaughter like this.
  10. Jan 13, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Free 40' power poles! Crews were replacing them in our area and these were along the road, free!

IMG_1040.JPG

This building was free. We "paid" for delivery with $40, a pork shoulder and some sausage. Can anybody say tool shed?

building #3.JPG