Got it free - whatever it is??

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
milkman’s daughter’s “free wood” thread in the DIY forum has spurred me to try starting another thread. I hope its theme will encourage others here to post.:frow

I shared my story of finding a compressor air tank for free at the local recycling bin parking lot. If anyone missed it and is interested, that’s here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-small-reclamation.15371/

Only a few weeks later I found two good-quality folding “festival chairs” (like you might sit in at a picnic or fall fair), abandoned in fine condition in that same parking lot.

In the past I also mentioned that we found three up-to-date compact ceramic heaters in like-new working order parked on the road shoulder for the taking, and the heaters have been quite handy for warming plants in chilly-night circumstances. (It’s the custom in my region to leave things you don’t want, but might be useful to someone, on the road shoulder.)

One day, I found several very useful things in one stroke at the bigger recycling center’s free shed, including a shop-style power strip (11 grounded 120v outlets) worth $50. This was at the actual valley recycling center.

I’m glad and thankful for it, but I dunno why some people just up and cast such useful things off! I’m also grateful for cheap yard-sale finds like the great splitting maul in decent shape I got for $5, that would have cost 10x as much in our local hardware stores. But in the latter case, at least the person who’d owned it got something $-wise out of the transaction.

Anyhow, care to relate or reminisce about your free finds? :caf

Last edited:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've been looking at local on-line auctions lately and getting some great deals there.

But totally free...all I can think of is pallets right now.:p

But I'll update with any new finds! (won't be much this time of year...spring is when everything comes out)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... Our barn was free! DH just had to tear it down and relocate it all. The flooring we just got to redo our bedroom was free. We have a lot of stuff that was free... I can't even begin to list it all. DH is really good at finding free useful things. Too good... There's potentially useful things everywhere and I can't escape them all! Lol!!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There must be an art to getting free stuff... and it's an art I don't seem to possess....:(

I see stuff on Kijiji (Craigslist), but it's usually in the city and I can't get to it in time.
I've missed out on some stuff we could have really used too. But I don't check those listings all that often as it is.

The pallets are always free by my husbands work, so that's easy enough to get - though they don't tend to be good quality anyway. They use cheap wood now.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The art here is living here most of your life, knowing all the "townies", and talking to a bunch of people. That's about it. We don't ever really get free stuff on Craigslist, it's all from the locals.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was going to mention that you need to know people :)

We just moved here so if we want free stuff we have to be very active about it. Not much is going to "fall in our laps" per se.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great thread, Joel!!! Soooooooo many free things over the years and fond memories of them all, so I'll just start with recent things....like today.

Three free pallets, many bags of free leaves for winter coop and compost bedding, and three very large pumpkins....all of these recouped from the trash this day. Tomorrow we go to split some free oak firewood, given to us by my uncle....will be doing that the next two days. Next week I'll be going after more leaves in town, free for the taking and great for coop bedding, composting, for a great blanket to place at the feet of fruit trees.

I garner many, many free things each year by keeping my eyes open as I drive through town and also by reading the local ads...can get free chickens, free fruit, free wood, etc.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, treerooted & Bee, you've got a point about being tuned-in by the locals. And you've reported on real good stuff!

One year, we crossed paths with a fellow we don't know well. But he operates a serious log-house building operation (employs himself and a small number of other guys). Well, there are certain portions of logs that they cannot use... maybe too big around, too flared, too bent, whatever. So he offered us to bring up our pickup and my chainsaw, axe, wedges & sledgehammer. And we got free firewood, simply by adding-in our own labor.

In the following years, I think the gift went to other people. But it was a good thing for us that year.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've very rarely had to pay for firewood because I normally get all I can use for free, it's just a matter of keeping my eyes opened.

I've gotten several nice things "curbside shopping", including my chair in front of the fire. It had no cushion, so I did have to buy one, but that's OK. It was cheaper than a chair. I've gotten glass topped patio tables, plastic chairs, a leather topped table,...

I've been known to take what I find that's in good condition, but that I can't use and sell it.