Got it free - whatever it is??

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Did your pumpkin seeds germinate? :pop
Not yet :\ I sowed some more yesterday and I'm considering sticking one or two in the compost heap to see what happens. How did your flower seeds do?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yep, I'd do nothing more than hose it off. I love those things.
I'm going to sand to it down and paint it… The paint on it is messy and I'm not wild about the colour :hide It is VERY sturdy though, there is nothing wrong with it. It's part timber and part metal. I can't believe whoever tossed it out did?

Very cool bench, @sumi! I bet your partner in crime likes it too. :)
Oh he does! :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, maybe you could paint it the same blue as the shed door. That would be a pretty accent. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not yet :\ I sowed some more yesterday and I'm considering sticking one or two in the compost heap to see what happens. How did your flower seeds do?

They all sprouted wonderfully...but among all the flower seedlings were weed seedlings. I can't remember the name of them, but I've been dealing with the same weed all the time I've had this BTE garden. Any time you pull back the mulch to broadcast fine seeds, it seems this particular weed comes up more and stronger than the flowers.

I couldn't pull them that the flower seedlings didn't come up with them and soon I couldn't even see the flower seedlings, just the weeds. They had shaded them out. I finally just pulled the hay over that plot. :(

I was really hoping to have a chance to see them grow....should have planted them in the flower beds, in retrospect, instead of the garden. The flower beds don't have a single one of those weeds coming up in them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They all sprouted wonderfully...but among all the flower seedlings were weed seedlings. I can't remember the name of them, but I've been dealing with the same weed all the time I've had this BTE garden. Any time you pull back the mulch to broadcast fine seeds, it seems this particular weed comes up more and stronger than the flowers.

I couldn't pull them that the flower seedlings didn't come up with them and soon I couldn't even see the flower seedlings, just the weeds. They had shaded them out. I finally just pulled the hay over that plot. :(

I was really hoping to have a chance to see them grow....should have planted them in the flower beds, in retrospect, instead of the garden. The flower beds don't have a single one of those weeds coming up in them.
I've got more of those seeds here, I'll pop some in the mail for you. Weeds are incredibly frustrating like that! They like to choke out things we're trying to grow. I have the same problem here and had to sacrifice a few seedlings in the process.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sumi, maybe you could paint it the same blue as the shed door. That would be a pretty accent. :)
That's what I'm thinking of doing :) We had a chance to examine the bench properly this morning and it only has one coat of paint on it, so it would be easy enough to sand down and tart up. It's such a lovely, sturdy thing, I'm thrilled to bits with it. It's perfect for the spot I earmarked outside the shed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've got more of those seeds here, I'll pop some in the mail for you. Weeds are incredibly frustrating like that! They like to choke out things we're trying to grow. I have the same problem here and had to sacrifice a few seedlings in the process.

I know just where to put them this time! You don't need to do that, Sumi, but I thank you for doing so. :hugs

I have a whole, long flower bed that is not being utilized this year. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm going to sand to it down and paint it… The paint on it is messy and I'm not wild about the colour :hide It is VERY sturdy though, there is nothing wrong with it. It's part timber and part metal. I can't believe whoever tossed it out did?

Oh he does! :)

The color isn't the best, is it? :D Please show us what it looks like when you are done? I love it that God provided you a bench for your garden!

Latest posts