Got my antique sewing machine!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is a lot of info online now....and a lot of manuals available. There may even be someone nearby to show you! There are some yahoo groups, too.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My machine I got in 1994 is almost in perfect condition. It has one of the drawers that would need, what I would call, minor repairs, but I am afraid if I take even a small hammer with brads to it, that it will need major repairs, so I have left it alone.
If I could strip it down and pass some tongue oil on it, it would make me happy, but I haven't put my foot down yet.
The warranty expired in 1912.
It is a 'Modern.' It looks funny reading the instructions. There is a woman dressed for the times, looking so happy and at peace because her sewing will be so easy.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rhettsgreygal said:
I have two treadle machines but I don't know how fill the bobbins with thread. Since I haven't looked at them in a while, I am not sure I know how to load them into the machine. They are torpedo shaped. I did it once by accident when I bought the first one about 20 years ago. Then Roy's grandmother showed me how sometime after that and I forgot :rolleyes:

So how come I can vividly remember being a flower girl 43 years ago, but I can't remember what happened 15 years ago? I must be getting old.

Annette
I was able to download a facsimile copy of the manual for my 1906 Singer, which showed me how to load the bobbin, which is like yours, as well as threading it, and oiling it. If yours is a Singer I can give you the link to the site with the manuals; possibly there are instructions for other machines there too, I don't remember.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Rhettsgreygal said:
I have two treadle machines but I don't know how fill the bobbins with thread. Since I haven't looked at them in a while, I am not sure I know how to load them into the machine. They are torpedo shaped. I did it once by accident when I bought the first one about 20 years ago. Then Roy's grandmother showed me how sometime after that and I forgot :rolleyes:

So how come I can vividly remember being a flower girl 43 years ago, but I can't remember what happened 15 years ago? I must be getting old.

Annette
I was able to download a facsimile copy of the manual for my 1906 Singer, which showed me how to load the bobbin, which is like yours, as well as threading it, and oiling it. If yours is a Singer I can give you the link to the site with the manuals; possibly there are instructions for other machines there too, I don't remember.
Thanks, I'll have to look at them. I haven't opened them up in more than three years so I can't even remember what they are. I will get back to you.

Annette

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got the motor belt changed and finished up my batch of baby goat coats. I wonder what that machine thought of all that polyester fleece and velcro? :p It was fun to sew again, using a machine that works. I am still learning its personality, but so far, so good.

I made a treadle belt by stapling (with a paper stapler!) two pieces of surgical tubing together. It worked a bit, just enough to let me know that I can't wait to get a real belt! It slipped and wasn't very strong, so I sewed on a folded paper towel. :rolleyes: The pedal got stuck a few times. There is a learning curve. I haven't achieved it yet, but will wait for a real belt.

One thing I was very happy to discover....once I have a real belt for the treadle, I can switch from motor to treadle literally in seconds. The treadle belt is not in the way of anything when it is disengaged and just hanging there. The motor belt is easy to take off and put back on without tools. I'd read online that the switch-over can be a pain-in-the-tush, but not so with my machine and treadle.

AND....I have one that is ideally designed, with the treadle directly under the needle so there is no reaching or twisting. The needle is a bit further back from the front edge of the table than I am used to, but it works and I will get used to it.

I have so many projects in mind! First, though, several utilitarian projects until I am sure that no old dirt is going to end up on mom's white sheers or the shower curtain fabric, floral with a white background. Hence the kid coats, next, shopping bags and maybe some underwear for me from dh's stained-but-still-good t-shirts, which I've been wanting to try making.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty! Yes, I've done quite a bit of quilting when I lived in Maine and had no tv, in the days before computers, and had some long evenings to fill. I made most of my clothes, lots of craft items (everyone's kids got stuffed animals, every baby got a quilt, bibs, decorated cloth diapers, etc :p ), horse blankets, all kinds of things. I had a decent machine and wore it out in about 20 years.

Got the nasty, cheap machine next since I wasn't sewing much, and had a lot of frustrating moments and gave up on many projects.

I'm a bit rusty now, though. I've just made window treatments and a few things like pj's, dog coats, cloth napkins, fem supplies, stuff like that, in the past few years.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I finally got two belts for my machine, one for the motor and one for the treadle. I have the treadle belt attached and just finished putting the handles on a cloth shopping bag. I have some fabric to make a bunch of bags, and I have some feedbags to make into shopping totes, so that should keep me busy while I get to know the machine!

Yippee!!! :weee Well, that is how I feel in my head....today, in my body, I feel more like :old with my back acting up!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, Yay me!!! I got 3 yards of sturdy upholstery fabric to make grocery bags for my folks. Last time dad went shopping, someone took all his cloth bags. He hadn't started shopping yet, so most likely, someone took the wrong cart and they were the same local chain store bags that everyone seems to have. No one will take the ones I'm making by mistake...they will be unique and manly enough since dad does all the shopping! I got some to make me some bags, too. Well, the piece for me was originally for dad, but dh pointed out that he would likely "forget" them at home because the fabric was not manly enough. :lol: So we'll get new bags, too. I think they will come out to about a buck apiece and will last forever and then some. Yippee! Off to watch some tube and connect with my grandmothers!