Got my antique sewing machine!!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yup, Yay me!!! I got 3 yards of sturdy upholstery fabric to make grocery bags for my folks. Last time dad went shopping, someone took all his cloth bags. He hadn't started shopping yet, so most likely, someone took the wrong cart and they were the same local chain store bags that everyone seems to have. No one will take the ones I'm making by mistake...they will be unique and manly enough since dad does all the shopping! I got some to make me some bags, too. Well, the piece for me was originally for dad, but dh pointed out that he would likely "forget" them at home because the fabric was not manly enough. :lol: So we'll get new bags, too. I think they will come out to about a buck apiece and will last forever and then some. Yippee! Off to watch some tube and connect with my grandmothers!
:cool: Now you really need to post pictures!!!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This post made me remember a skill that I had but have not used in 48 years, machine sewing (I am a male Navy vet.) The ships I served on would usually take an overseas cruise for 6 months every year, can you guess the amount of sewing that 250 boy-men can generate in 6 months, the amount of repairs, alterations, name and rank badges to be sewed on? And that was just the unofficial work. Who keeps all those signal flags, US flags and the flags of the countries we would visit in good shape? On my ship it was the Signalmen who were charged with all ship to ship communication that didnt involve radio waves. Until I qualified as a Radarman, I was a jack of all trades, after the daily cleaning tasks, etc, were done I would do such things as correct and update maps. Once they found out that I could actually run a sewing machine I would repair and make flags as an official duty and all the unofficial stuff for favors or money. Even after I started to work full time as a Radarman, I would help with the flags in return for being able to use the machine for my unofficial stuff. (People who kidded me about being able to sew were told to do their own sewing) I dont know who made the machines for the Navy, but they were heavy duty and could be run either with a motor or foot powered, the motors were wimpy and would often bog down on heavy fabrics so foot power was often used

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm almost halfway through my first half-dozen shopping bags. Gotta take a laundry break. I'll try to get a pic later, once the bags are done. It may have to wait until we come back from Florida...if we go. Our flights are Wed morning, early. We will see! Meanwhile, I am sewing instead of the usual rush...cancelled my workday and am sitting mostly to save my poor sore back for the trip. Hee-hee. You should see dh go! :clap

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hey Free, what kind of weather are they calling for up there? I know we're supposed to start as snow down here tonight, but by sometime Wednesday, it's supposed to be all rain. Then, it's supposed to get cold for Thursday and Friday. I'm hoping we get enough rain to get rid of all the snow. Otherwise, I'm dreading the ice we may have come Thursday.

Oh, and were in FL are you going? My sister has a winter home in FL.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We are going on a working vaca to a conference in Miami. It is supposed to snow tomorrow, then overnight change to snow, sleet, freezing rain. Oh yay. I hope our flight gets out ok.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hope you're able to go, too. I am NOT looking forward to this next system. I already know it's not going to be fun. Systems like this trigger my Meniere's, and I've been fighting vertigo attacks for a couple of days now. :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, our flight got cancelled. We are now on a Thu morning flight and will miss the first day of the conference, and the special sessions on Wed night for licensed health professionals. Poo. But we are still going to Miami, and I will be iced in tomorrow with nothing on my schedule (but some neglected house cleaning) and a treadle machine with a good belt and a lot of fabrics to play with!

I finished up the shopping bags tonight and dropped them off at my folks' apartment. From 3 yards of upholstery fabric I made 5 standard shopping bags, like the larger store-brand ones you can buy for $2 made of that papery "fabric" that falls apart pretty quickly...but mine will last for years and years. I had some odd bits left and made a small tote and another grocery tote that is a little narrower than standard and a few inches taller. Seven bags for $6. Glad I got another piece of that fabric to make some for us!

I made them all with the treadle only, attaching the handles by hand. I couldn't get the tension adjusted properly to tack on the handles by machine. I'd get big loops of thread underneath my work. So I switched to hand sewing. The handles where made with the same fabric.

For those in southern New England, I got the fabric at Ocean State Job Lot.

I know, I forgot to get pics again! Oh, well, I do want to make another set, so I'll get pics of those.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Well phooey! But you'll get there!!
I have never seen fabric at OSJL. I'll have to look if I ever get out of my house again. Can you say cabin fever????????????
Glad you'll be able to make good use of your day and your new machine!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OSJL doesn't have fabric by the yard and bolt like a fabric store, but once in a while they have a small pile of flat fold upholstery fabrics in 3 yard pieces. Check the section with the decorating stuff, curtain rods, sheets and blankets, etc.

Latest posts