Got my baby chicks this morning!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, they are adorable!

The post office called at 4:20...am. So I woke up my 17 yr old and she came with. When we got there we opened the box to check on them all and all were well except one did not look good and had a stiff leg out behind him (he was a peanut) and one of my EEers looked weak and was getting trampled a bit so I pulled her out and cuddled her on the way home.

They are all set, everyone is eating and drinking like there is no tomorrow :rolleyes: I did lose the one with the funny leg and still have 5 little roos left. I don't know what they are...kind of a redish color. I guess they are going on craigslist tomorrow.

I will snap some pics to share later...gotta go get another feeder and waterer....I can already see that my sweet little chicks need the rowdy ducks to move out. Boy that living arrangement did not last long :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:weee

I'm glad all the chicks you ordered are doing fine. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new chickies!!!!! :woot

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Congrats on the new 'arrivals'! :) Take pix, always good to see baby chick pix :)

I just got an email that the guy I'm getting EE chicks and turkey poults from for the beginning of May can indeed add three sexlink pullet chicks to my order... we just lost the last of our three original sexlinks, and my 4 yr old suggested we get more. He plans to name them "Marigold II, Matilda II, and Maryanne II" :p I would not be thrilled with this if they were, like, cats or horses, but for chickens, sure... I think I see an unbroken line of successive Marigold-Matilda-Maryanne sexlinks stretching out ahead of us through the years... :p

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
AWWWW ! Chicks are adorable!

eta: We had a chick get trampled in transit and McMuray credited us for the lost chick.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Its exciting, isn't it? I'm always amazed that something that small and sweet can be sent through the mail and arrive so lively! My post office staff was tickled and laughingly told me that they had a very noisy package with my name on it! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YA HOO
in the chicken business you go! that is cool and yes they are cute. chicks are so fragile....you are lucky all are doing fine!!!!!!

I have 200 Red Sex Link 16 week old pullets coming in 2 weeks. Reload for the 100 I sold. Time for egg laying to hit full force for the farmers market.

good luck on selling a few!

happy for you! I know you wanted to get started and here they are...eggs on the way! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones enthusiasm!

They are so adorable we find ourselves just sitting by the brooder watching thier antics. I have had ducks and I knew they were characters but oh my! Compared to the chicks they are on crack or something! they are little maniacs :lol:

We found one of the ducks (Oscar) stuck under the feeder this morning. Literally, his/her leg was pinned under it and I had to lift it up to free him...now he is limping about a bit. Poor little dummy.

Bee...when we went to pick them up we rang the doorbell at the PO and as we waited we heard this peeping get louder and louder as they guy approached the door. We could hear them from outside...dang!

Each of us gets a hen to claim as our own and the kids all get a duck. so here are our names so far
Honey (my baby EE that was almost giving up when we got them, she was so weak I had to pull her out of the box and cuddle her all the way home)
CC (DH's EE)
Daisy (17yr old DD's yellow and black stripped EE)
Blaze (17yrolds duckling)
William (13 yr old son's Blk Australorp :rolleyes:)
Oscar (son's duckling...likely a female :rolleyes:)
Dixie (15 yr old DD's duckling...no name yet for her chick)
Oreo (6 yr old DD's Blk Aussie..coincidentally what she wanted dad to pick up from the store last night, a phone call which was made while we were thinking of names...go figure)
Ming Ming ( 6 yr olds duckling)