Got my baby chicks this morning!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Uh, Oh....naming the livestock leads to permanent, no-kill homes for each and every one!!! :lol: I love baby ducks...even more than chicks. There is something so profoundly babyish about a duckling...no sharp points, just softly rounded fuzziness and dull little beaks. Love 'em!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Uh, Oh....naming the livestock leads to permanent, no-kill homes for each and every one!!! :lol: I love baby ducks...even more than chicks. There is something so profoundly babyish about a duckling...no sharp points, just softly rounded fuzziness and dull little beaks. Love 'em!
Yeah, these critters are definitely not livestock....they are pets :)

I just adore ducks, they are endlessly entertaining. I am finding that baby chicks are quite cuddly though!

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had to read the post twice. At first I thought you said you had a weak one and took it out to cull it. Then reread it and saw c-u-d-d-l-e it. Whewww. We've named most of our original chicks and my son loves that some are his. We love hatching them now. Soooo addictive. We've got a bator full coming off the turners tonight. And 2 shipments of eggs due to arrive Wednesday with Ameracaunas and Blue laced red wyandottes going in when these come out. Can't get enough

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
dddct said:
I had to read the post twice. At first I thought you said you had a weak one and took it out to cull it. Then reread it and saw c-u-d-d-l-e it. Whewww. We've named most of our original chicks and my son loves that some are his. We love hatching them now. Soooo addictive. We've got a bator full coming off the turners tonight. And 2 shipments of eggs due to arrive Wednesday with Ameracaunas and Blue laced red wyandottes going in when these come out. Can't get enough
dddct, what do you do with all the chicks/chickens? We are on a fairly small lot (huge for suburbia but still relatively small for critters). Our city limits us to 25 chickens so I figure I would start with 6 which leaves plenty of room for the addiction to grow ;)
I will be in big trouble if and when I am faced with culling a critter!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
dace, culling was hard for me, really hard, at first. Still is on most days. But when I had one chicken that was acting sick (thank goodness we had it in quarantine!), I was worried that I would lose my whole flock if it passed what it had to the others. This chicken came from a swap. He was here 2 days, and we culled.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Congratulations! Whenever we get chicks, I have a hard time getting work done because I just want to hang out and watch their antics. They are so hilarious, running around like little bumblebees on legs. Once they learn they can fly a little bit, it gets even funnier :) Have fun!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Congratulations! Whenever we get chicks, I have a hard time getting work done because I just want to hang out and watch their antics. They are so hilarious, running around like little bumblebees on legs. Once they learn they can fly a little bit, it gets even funnier :) Have fun!
You hit the nail on the head....I just sit there either holding the little fuzz balls or I just sit and watch. They are so cute I can't help myself!

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We haven't quite figured out what we're going to do with all the chicks. We have a converted shed where my 20+ big girls are and they are laying. One area in the shed is sectioned off for the goats and the other area sectioned off for the 65-6 week old chicks we have. There are about 20+ of those buggers. And I have a pip in the incubator. Seems early for any pips I just took them off the turner last night but there are 36 eggs in there.

My hubby has a friend coming over Sunday and building chicken coops is the project for the day. We will put the Welsummers in a separate house on one side and on the other side of that same house put the Black Copper marans. Then house 2 will have our future hatches of Ameracaunas on 1/2 and Blue laced red wyandottes on the other side. We'll build a house for the goats and voila... the rest of the shed will house our EE's.

Wow we have a lot of work to do :hit now that I actually see it in writing.
But we should be able to have available for sale in the summer Welsummer eggs, black copper eggs, ameracauna eggs and blue laced red wyandottes eggs.

edited ooops thats 5-6 week chicks not 65 chicks

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
dddct...so it sould like you are breeding for hatching eggs? not eating eggs?
I keep thinking about getting a few more hens to have eating eggs to sell, but everything I look at the numbers, it hardly seems worth the effort! Now, if I could have a larger quantity of birds maybe!