Got my exercise... more roosters

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're making me hungry! That looks delicious.

I have found a large taste difference in pork from barrows vs. gilts but haven't noticed a difference with the hens vs. Roos. Of course we get mostly roos when we order. (we will only raise female pigs now as a side note)

The roos really are delicious this way... Rural King sells a box of off brand stuffing, similar to stove top stuffing for .88 a box when on sale - .99 otherwise. Actually I think it's better than stove top and a heck of a lot cheaper.

https://www.ruralking.com/stuffing-mix-chicken-flavored.html

I wished I knew more about raising animals for the table. I would really like to expand beyond chickens and turkeys. What is a barrow and Gilt? Male and female? I suppose I could google it...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Barrow is a neutered male. Gilt is a female that has not had a litter. Sow is a female who has had piglets, and boar is a non-neutered male.

The males have a much stronger taste in my opinion. My friend told me she noticed it and I thought she was nuts. Until we had both in the freezer and I tried them back to back.

Pigs are so easy to raise!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Barrow is a neutered male. Gilt is a female that has not had a litter. Sow is a female who has had piglets, and boar is a non-neutered male.

The males have a much stronger taste in my opinion. My friend told me she noticed it and I thought she was nuts. Until we had both in the freezer and I tried them back to back.

Pigs are so easy to raise!

Is there like a raising pigs how-to or FAQ here on SS? I would be so interested in something like that... Book learning is ok but if you have a question about something you read in the book your out of luck. But in a forum like SS you get replies to questions form the experts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not a pig expert, but have had them for awhile now. They seem to be pretty easy. I haven't had any losses other than some new born piglets. But, I'm not doing intensive management either. They live in the pasture and don't get any special treatment except a little corn thrown at them to keep them away from the goats feed.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butchering one in a few hours... I'll have pics of that also for the non-squeamish. I'm not an expert in medical stuff or anything, my pigs have never been sick, but I'm good with the basics.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would like to see the full butchering process - if you don't mind. If people are squeamish, they need to get over it... It's where your food comes from after all. I butcher & process deer so it's no big deal seeing blood and guts.

Latest posts