Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Newbie Potato Question

So after watching a bunch of videos, I decided to plant taters in black garbage bags utilizing "bunny hay" (the coastal hay I give my bunnies after they have played, pooped and peed on it) and our regular soil which is fairly heavy on the clay but fine-textured. And no, I haven't tested it yet - got tests coming because it seems I love to get ahead of myself. After reading this thread, I'm thinking it is going to get too hot here on the bags (high desert west Texas, elevation about 3000 ft zone 7a, 7b or 8a depending on the map you consult). Seed potatoes from TSC, Yukon gold, Russet, Kennebec. My objective is to use our own resources whenever possible. So I am now wondering if I should have hubby dig a trench to put the bags in to keep them cooler. Or I could place them under our house such that they would get afternoon sun. I have only done a bag of each so far so good time to regroup or to try something different with the rest of the seed potatoes if necessary.

I was planning to "hill" them with more bunny hay, maybe a little soil as well. I put more hay on after planting. So it was about 5-6 inches of bunny hay, 3-4 inches of dirt then another 5-6 of hay to start. I have tiny slits cut in the bottom of the bags and was watering thoroughly once daily.

BTW, bunny manure is 2 1 1

View attachment 15569View attachment 15568
I'm collecting red potatoes shoots. We also have clay but it's the heavy kind.

I'll be back to follow your lead. I really like the red potato type the whites I have eaten are way too sweet for me

Latest posts