Got Raccoons?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...unless you are in it for the long haul, best not to tame one down and then have to get rid of it. Then it's familiar with humans, will approach one and they will think it's rabied and kill it.

Best leave the wildlife as wild life.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wait till the stink of them invades your living space. As Bee says, those babies will grow up to be predators. If I were you, I'd live trap the Mama, and then take her and babies to a game preserve. Beware, coons can carry some nasty disease.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe I should be more selective about what I post here. That way I wouldn't have to be put in a position to defend my beliefs. This thread has turned way to personal for me. Sorry if you don't agree with my approach, but I'm the one who has to live with himself and sleep at night with a clean conscience.

I've faced the same dilemma. It is your house, your chimney, your life and your decision! No one else has the right to tell you what to do. I come to this forum because I enjoy the support given by others - not to be chastised for my decisions.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pet raccoon would crawl in the refrigerator when my Momma opened it and start helping himself. Mom would scream for me to come get the coon. He also loaded himself in the dishwasher, and the pantry. He made a mess in the garage, dumping out my Dad's myriad of jars and cans holding screws and nails. He just got too wild, acting like a raccoon acts.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Live trapping and relocating was my first intent, until I seen the new born babies. So new that their eyes were not open.

Perhaps I'm to much of a softy... But I could not serve them an eviction notice, knowing they would probably die if I did. My plan is now to leave them alone and let them leave on their own accord. Otherwords.. live and let live. Once they are gone, I'll patch the hole in the chimney cap and life will be good. Once they leave, my outside dog will run them off the property, this I am sure of. Sorry but I just couldn't be that cruel.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being kind to animals and having a heart, or being a "softy" sometimes :hugs

Keeping one as a pet is still a bad idea though!! ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Live trapping and relocating was my first intent, until I seen the new born babies. So new that their eyes were not open.

Perhaps I'm to much of a softy... But I could not serve them an eviction notice, knowing they would probably die if I did. My plan is now to leave them alone and let them leave on their own accord. Otherwords.. live and let live. Once they are gone, I'll patch the hole in the chimney cap and life will be good. Once they leave, my outside dog will run them off the property, this I am sure of. Sorry but I just couldn't be that cruel.

Maybe I should be more selective about what I post here. That way I wouldn't have to be put in a position to defend my beliefs. This thread has turned way to personal for me. Sorry if you don't agree with my approach, but I'm the one who has to live with himself and sleep at night with a clean conscience.

I'm with you. They'll leave on their own accord, then you can close up the opening. Mama also isn't going to be interested in keeping her brood there with your dog.