What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the year we planted over 30 tomato plants we canned over 300 quarts of tomato chunks, tomato juice, salsas, etc. we did not ever plant that many again. way too much work in the kitchen for both of us. i think this year we may plant 12 tomato plants but that may change to more or less depending upon what happens at the greenhouse when we go to pick up plants. 12 - 16 is plenty enough for me to fit in the gardens inside the fenced area. more than that is too many.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted sunflowers -- for seed heads!!! 😳🤷😁 For the animals. Aaaannnd more beets, some carrots, marigolds. 😵‍💫

Okra going in tomorrow, purple & green....plus?

I have a good produce auction each Thur night, begin June, 8 miles away. So extra tomatoes are pure gold!! One reason for extra plants. $$ several buyers stock their big in town farmer markets from this sale. NEVER any left from the auction. Peppers, corn, okra, squash, melons...you name it. Okra is for sale, I don't eat it.

Last edited:

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't sell anything. I either eat it, canned it or give it away.

I think we start with a vision but life happens and we also get slower with age. I just can't do heat. It robs my energy by just thinking about it. The sun, forget it. I have a natural tan, so no need for more.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I rarely sell veggies but give away, also. I have bought at this auction. So, this year I'm considering selling there -- IF the garden does well and I'm overburdened with produce. It is a consideration for some farm income in future as I can be home more to do these things. Hey, they are bidding high for home grown 👍 first yr for me to sell, may be only 🤣🤣

I've taken to food bank store but, they say I must give away outside🥹. Rules & liability. People snatch it up.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now isn't that funny how different rules can be? Last Monday a farmer showed up with a banana box full of asparagus. It looked so good that I wanted to grab two stalks and run off and nibble them.

We thanked him and then I washed them all. The next day they were divided up and a baggie placed in each food box. We also accept eggs and all sorts of squash.

When apple season comes, the orchard growers DO put their boxes of mostly fair to miserable looking apples on the long bench out front.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now isn't that funny how different rules can be? Last Monday a farmer showed up with a banana box full of asparagus. It looked so good that I wanted to grab two stalks and run off and nibble them.

We thanked him and then I washed them all. The next day they were divided up and a baggie placed in each food box. We also accept eggs and all sorts of squash.

When apple season comes, the orchard growers DO put their boxes of mostly fair to miserable looking apples on the long bench out front.
This apple thing used to be a common. But the orchardist would bag them and hang them on the outside of the fence. Any person walking by was free to grab a bag to take home. It's was based on the honesty system, which sadly today is rare.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ours takes farm produce at the "main" distribution location. It's then sorted to the local stores....and it's actually set up as a store. By apptmt they go in, take the stated quantity of various items & leave. Volunteers are there to help & control the shoppers selections. So, on that store level, not accepted.

Not sure the criteria for acceptance at main level.

Now, the smaller local food assist places -- mainly churches -- they gladly take it. 😊

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ours takes farm produce at the "main" distribution location. It's then sorted to the local stores....and it's actually set up as a store. By apptmt they go in, take the stated quantity of various items & leave. Volunteers are there to help & control the shoppers selections. So, on that store level, not accepted.

Not sure the criteria for acceptance at main level.

Now, the smaller local food assist places -- mainly churches -- they gladly take it. 😊
I prefer less than perfect apples. If it looks to perfect it raises questions in my mind. Which results in scrubbing the outside with soft bristles brush in soapy water. Some.people say soak in vinegar followed by a good rinse but I think that's just a waste of good vinegar.

Have you ever bitten into an apple to find a worm? Well what's worse, is finding 1/2 worm.

Codling moths :sick

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited: