Got Seeds?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess, it highly depends on whether you got a lot of em. If it is just one packet, I'd say tossem and buy new. If it is a whole box, and you have the space try germinating them... while the germ rate might be lower some should germinate (30-40%) depends on how old they are and how well were they stored.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
mlynd said:
ok seed question I have some seeds that I've had for a few yrs are they any good or should I just get rid of them and buy new seeds they are still in the package I bought them in ????
You can write the names on a paper towel, in blocks, dampen the paper towel and put a few of each seed where you marked its name. Cover with another paper towel and put it in a plastic bag. Check it a couple of times a day and keep it slightly damp...and in a warm place, like on top of the fridge. Then count how many sprout in each block. They will probably get a little moldy, but that is ok, you are just getting germination info and will toss this in the trash when done.

Some seeds don't keep well, others, if stored well, will sprout after a few years.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
K0xx, wanna trade weather? My rain is going to be all frozen and fluffy :p
Actually, I would love to trade. If the ground were frozen, at least I could still haul top soil (the pile is covered with a tarp) to the raised beds. As it is now, the wheel barrel would bog down in the mud. :(

We have two days of partial sunshine forecast, and then back to rain. I think that I'll just go sit in the garden with an umbrella and daydream about the good things to come. :rolleyes: