Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That barn will make a great wood shop. You could also store hay for animals in part of it. Concrete floor? Put hay on pallets and stack it up.

So Bay, I've read you have your hogs professionally processed. What about your sheep? What's the advantages/disadvantages of professional processing?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I sell both lamb and pork, it it USDA inspected. I haven’t been able to shoot one of my lambs, but if I had to, I darn sure would. We processed pigs here in 2017. I was happy with the results and our home smoked bacon was the best I’ve ever had.

If I were to process a lamb, I would do it more like a deer carcass. Fiddlesticks on fancy lamb chops, just the backstrap please!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I sell both lamb and pork, it it USDA inspected. I haven’t been able to shoot one of my lambs, but if I had to, I darn sure would. We processed pigs here in 2017. I was happy with the results and our home smoked bacon was the best I’ve ever had.

If I were to process a lamb, I would do it more like a deer carcass. Fiddlesticks on fancy lamb chops, just the backstrap please!

This dude makes me hungry

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got the home inspection today. A few pretty minor things like centeral AC not dropping temp enough, probably needs freon. Sump pump not working and oddly enough the aerator septic not working. It's less than 1 year old.

House has a finished basement who my wife has claimed every room already including the one unfinished room on the north side as her "cold room". I said that's great... Can I put my wine in there also? She already had that planned also.

I haven't seen my wife so excited about anything like this since our youngest granddaughter was born.

Anyways the house is about 3.5 miles from where we live now, just a little further past bum f___ egypt. so moving will be pretty easy. We are going to take our time moving over the course of a month.

My wife said so we are going to be farmers, then. I said yep... We need a cash crop, now that Marijuana is legal in Illinois, let's plant it all in Marijuana :lol:

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is awesome. It is a beautiful place, can’t wait to share your journey with you. It is a good feeling to raise your own vegetables and meat.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where will your garden be this year?

Yes, it is exciting to buy something that is a new adventure!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where will your garden be this year?

Yes, it is exciting to buy something that is a new adventure!

I don't think I'll have a summer garden this year but most definitely will have a fall garden.

We just did the final walkthrough, everything that I wanted repaired has been repaired. So we'll be closing June 30th. It was really nice to finally be able to meet the couple that lives there and ask questions. I was glad to hear there are fish in the pond already. As a matter of fact the pond is the local hot spot for county boys to fish 😁

It's exciting to buy a new place to live, maybe that's why I like moving so much... I enjoy change and newness. This will be our last move though so now I can plan on things being permanent.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like a dream come true.

Counting on you gals and guys to help guide me into making it a little self sufficient farmette. So much rolling around in my head right now, of what I "could" do. But currently, I'm looking at about 15 acres of hay. Split by fence into about 10 and 5 acres. So basicly it's a blank slate.

Latest posts