Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not at all conserned with over liming this little acre and a half. It has a smaller pond on it that feeds the big pond so any runoff will eventually make it's way into the pond, via the feeder pond anyways.
She is giving you good advice here. She has more experience in her little finger than practically all the rest of us put together. It is a known fact that when you have a soil analysis done, if it is recommended to put down 2 tons of lime, you split it in half and apply it 1 ton at a time, a year apart. When @farmerjan speaks, I durn sure listen. She is a wealth of information, which she freely gives. We are Blessed to have her here.

If you can purchase 4 tons and spread it with their spreader, then do as she said, and spread some on the rest of your land. With all that broom sedge, the lime will make the soil less appealing to it. Good pastures are living dynamic organisms, made up of soil bacteria, humus, and balanced nutrients. It takes time to grow fallow land back to fruitful pastures. You are on the right track and you have farmerjan in your corner, it just doesn't get any better!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is giving you good advice here. She has more experience in her little finger than practically all the rest of us put together. It is a known fact that when you have a soil analysis done, if it is recommended to put down 2 tons of lime, you split it in half and apply it 1 ton at a time, a year apart. When @farmerjan speaks, I durn sure listen. She is a wealth of information, which she freely gives. We are Blessed to have her here.

If you can purchase 4 tons and spread it with their spreader, then do as she said, and spread some on the rest of your land. With all that broom sedge, the lime will make the soil less appealing to it. Good pastures are living dynamic organisms, made up of soil bacteria, humus, and balanced nutrients. It takes time to grow fallow land back to fruitful pastures. You are on the right track and you have farmerjan in your corner, it just doesn't get any better!

I was just trying to pull @framerjan
chain.
122764762_1909081355901012_4647855851084566134_n.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so sad I feel like crying. Gary is fixing to take all his cattle to auction. The 3 I picked out of his herd, just became 4. The hefeir had just had another hefeir calf last night. I don't have fencing up yet so I can't take them. It makes me just want to cry.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you mean you won't be buying them now? Or just sad he is selling out?

Some days you just say " I'm done with this" . Usually a reason but, sometimes because you are just not wanting to do it any more. It happens. I used to "live" horses and now not so much wanting the work. My goats are easier in many respects and produce for me. At some point, they will be dwindled from 20 to 3. Likewise chickens will drop from 60 to 6…..your energy and interests change. It's life.

I hope this change is one he wants to happen.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you mean you won't be buying them now? Or just sad he is selling out?

Some days you just say " I'm done with this" . Usually a reason but, sometimes because you are just not wanting to do it any more. It happens. I used to "live" horses and now not so much wanting the work. My goats are easier in many respects and produce for me. At some point, they will be dwindled from 20 to 3. Likewise chickens will drop from 60 to 6…..your energy and interests change. It's life.

I hope this change is one he wants to happen.

No... They were gifted to me (free) and I can't take them because I have no pasture that is fenced. So he's now going to take them to auction. Some financial and medical stuff came up with Gary's wife and he needs funds. I feel horrible, absolutely horrible.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sad to hear there are problems. Hope it all sorts itself out...in a good way for them health wise. There's always more cattle to buy...for both of you.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sad to hear there are problems. Hope it all sorts itself out...in a good way for them health wise. There's always more cattle to buy...for both of you.

After a little prayer I just had an good feeling come over me. I'm looking at this from a different perspective now. If Gary needs funds, but promised me cattle. By me not being able to take them, it will increase the money he receives at auction by 4 head. So now I'm feeling like I'm helping him in the long run. I'm feeling much better now...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I admire your way of looking at it from a different perspective. I was under the impression earlier that he was in a better financial position.... and if the cattle are being sold, he has no future income from them either so that is troubling. But it is his business.
I hope that the prices there are better than they have been here.

Can you rent his pasture back from him, with it already being fenced.... and pay somewhere near at least half of what the cattle would bring at auction?????? Maybe it is just better they go.... and you can get your own pastures fenced and get animals when you are better set up.... just something to think about.... once this glut of cattle works it way through the system, there will be less cows to have calves and the prices will go up. Of course some of this will depend on the craziness in the country and the presumably new administration coming in..... but with the drought conditions down in the Tx and surrounding states and lack of hay availability, alot of ranchers have been culling heavily and it has really hurt the cull cow prices here at this time. Once it gets all leveled out, there will be a smaller cow herd nationwide. That will result in fewer calves born, lowering the number of replacements in several years. It will also tighten up the beef supply. It takes time to work its' way down through the ranks.