Grain mills...grinders....what do you use?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Can you use an antique coffee grinder for grinding flour or do you have to use a "grain mill" to get it fine enough?
What do you use to grind your flour and how does it work??

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would try it. Even if it doesn't work well enough for the flour, there may be other items that you can use it for...like making almond meal.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have an electric grinder but would dearly love to have a hand grinder~just in case.

You could use your coffee grinder for cornmeal!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has ever actually tried an antique coffee grinder to make flour. I love antiques, and it appears you can get a coffee grinder a little bit cheaper than a grain mill, plus there are more of them out there. Hmmmmmmmm.......

sufficient1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Grinders usually have either steel "burrs" or stones. Steel burrs are best for oily produce like coffee. Stones can be contaminated by oily produce and become less useful. Use stones for low oil content produce like hard winter wheat. Some people have had success using steel burrs for wheat by passing it through multiple times. Retsel sells stones for Corona hand grinders (around $30-40 for grinder and around $30 for stones).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I only grind flax seed, and that with an electric coffee bean grinder.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Gluten is a sticky substance when it is freshly ground, so I would not recommend using a old coffee grinder for it.
I have a wondermill elec grinder now & a back to basics hand grinder that was $50. My antique coffee grinder was $40.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anyone use the kitchenaid mixer grain mill attachment? I plan to buy one next week for dh and I seen they have these. Just wondering if anyone has one and if so how do you like it??