Grape Jelly recipes

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've only made jam from the concord vine here that i used to have. didn't mind the crystals. i've never attempted to make jelly as that is a bit too finicky for my brain and i like the pulp of fruits in things. the only tip i have for this type of jam was that the recipe called for some amount of green/fairly unripe grapes to make sure there was enough pectin. it always turned out well and the flavor was much more intense than the jam in the jars from the store.

alas the grape vine suffered from perpetual black rot once it got infected and i refuse to baby or spray a plant if it can't survive and bear well, plus it got a split in the main stem and so i removed the vine. eventually i may replace it if i can find one resistant to black rot.

low sugar items would probably need a certain kind of pectin and recipe that i've not done. i have some freezer jam for the strawberries that i always make plus i put up some strawberries in jars with mixed amounts of sugar to see which ones we like the most. the last time i tried to do just plain strawberries in the freezer they were staring to ferment so i thought that perhaps the freezer would kill that process off and i'd have some slightly fermented strawberries to use. nope. they kept a slow ferment going until i opened them (some blew their tops off as soon as i removed the rings i had on them). ended up feeding all that to the worms. live and learn. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FB, Pomona's pectin is the "go to" for making low sugar jams and jellies. Using Pomonas is just about as easy as making jello! It uses calcium to complete the jel process. Each package comes with a little packet of calcium which is more than enough to react with all of the pectin. You can use any kind of sweetener, and only need to use as much as your palate dictates.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The downside of low sugar jellies and preserves is that once they are opened, they're only good for about 3 weeks (?) in the fridge, because the sugar is what acts as a preservative.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is true!!!!! However, I put my jams/jellies up in 8 oz. containers. And, I NEVER leave them out of the fridge longer than it takes to scoop some out onto my english muffin or what ever. Rarely, do I have a jar get moldy before i use it up. The trade off is well worth it to me. Regular jams and jellies, with high sugar content taste cloyingly sweet to me. While my pomona's "just sweet enough" has that bright, fresh fruit, sometimes set your teeth on edge 'cause of the tartness flavor. Each spoonful is like a mouthful of summer.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have been doing freezer jam for the strawberries for as many years as i can get a harvest. i've also tried to do some freezing of just berries and various amounts of sugar. this coming winter we'll be testing out all the batches i made this past summer to see how they go. :) summer in a jar for sure and especially welcome in the middle of winter. no cooked jam is as good as my strawberry freezer jam. :)

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everytime I have had freezer jam I find it much too sweet for my taste. The Pomona does work good but I seldom eat the jelly or jam fast enough to not get some waste. And it is hard to put up anything smaller than the half pint small "jelly jars". The little 4 oz ones take so much time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everytime I have had freezer jam I find it much too sweet for my taste. The Pomona does work good but I seldom eat the jelly or jam fast enough to not get some waste. And it is hard to put up anything smaller than the half pint small "jelly jars". The little 4 oz ones take so much time.

yes, it is very sweet when you get off sugar and i'm finding i do eat a lot less of it now compared to how i was before, but now some days it might be the only sweet i have so it is ok.

i'm going to be really interested in seeing how the other jars work out (with much less sugar) - i put these up mainly to have some for shortcakes in the middle of winter. in the past i've sometimes used part of a jar of freezer jam to enhance those plastic and tasteless strawberries shipped in from other places. we have bought store frozen berries to use too and those work much better for flavor in comparison but nothing compares to peak ripe berries from here.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE my pomona's jams and jellies. Every morning, I have some jam/jelly on a bread product, and an egg or two with some home made salsa. Never have to throw any of it away, unless it gets lost/forgotten in the back of the fridge. And, I'm the only one that eats these 2 products.