graphic no pic Our dog KILLED and eaten 5 goats through fence! HELP

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our dog has KILLED and eaten 5 goats through fence! HELP!

First, I WONT get rid of our family German Shepherd.... :hu He only attacks goats that get their stupid stupid heads stuck in the fence any time day or night... He nearly killed another one last night, I do not think she will make it.....(the rams horns are too big to stick head through fence, so he only kills does) .... most of the goats he chews neck, pulls through and eats UUUGGHH!

Our ranch is fenced and crossed fenced, I could move the cows and put goats in that field, but we would have to at chicken wire to that area.

More work and more money.... I do want goats for emergency milk and because the babies are so cute... I LOVE MY DOG...I NEED goats for emergency milk supply with this economy :ep

Please someone advise me... we have to always keep one gate closed to the house fenced area goats come up snd stick heads thru fence to start eating grass in my yard... The goats have 7 acres of trees and grass on THIER SIDE OF THE FENCE! , BUT THEY CHOOSE MY FRONT YARD to nibble grass... I thought German Sheperds were herding dogs....( he was not raised with goats we moved here when Rudy we 3 years old)

Can I tie something on goats horns? refence area around house? get rid of goats.. I can stand to see goats killed and eaten... PLEASE HELP :barnie

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Id be getting rid of a dog or kenneling him one..........

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you dont need to get rid of your dog. i have two 100 pound shepherds that help me with the farm.

the easiest thing is to run a hot wire (electric fence) on the INSIDE of the goat pen so they wont stick their stupid head thru the fence.

tractor supply has a sale on electric fencing supplies this week - its very easy to install.

you can train dogs - especially shepherds - to work WITH your stock....it takes work but you can do it.

i'm so sorry and you must be very upset.
:-(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
196_goat34.jpg

get a gigantic roll of black electrical tape

then get lengths of PVC pipe

cut length and tape the hell out of them to the horns of the goats

ONLY way to keep goats from going thru fence UNLESS you refence to smaller fencing.

that dog, you love it, UGH
I would be shooting that dog BUT since the dog is more important than the goats----re-fence, tie or kennel dog, sell goats, or put on pipes to keep goats from going thru the fence.

edited to say----and be viligent...when the tape gets looser, and it takes some time if you tape well....re-tape again.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First, I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Are you using your dog as a guard dog, is that why he's loose in the yard? Otherwise, can you keep him penned/tied when you aren't around to supervise?

I don't know how practical this is, but can you put gravel down on the house side of the fence, so the goats have no reason to stick their heads thru?

I hope you can solve this with no more loss of life...:(

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/196_goat34.jpg

get a gigantic roll of black electrical tape

then get lengths of PVC pipe

cut length and tape the hell out of them to the horns of the goats

ONLY way to keep goats from going thru fence UNLESS you refence to smaller fencing.

that dog, you love it, UGH
I would be shooting that dog BUT since the dog is more important than the goats----re-fence, tie or kennel dog, sell goats, or put on pipes to keep goats from going thru the fence.

edited to say----and be viligent...when the tape gets looser, and it takes some time if you tape well....re-tape again.

YOU GENIOUS YOU GENIOUS... I will tape the horns with pvc and pipe today! OMG if cant believe I did not think of that!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :weee :weee :weee

1) we have goat wire AND barbed wire in between the larger spaces to prevent goat heads... UUUMMMMM IT DOESN'T! :he :th

2) goats have 7 acres by creek, but INSIST ON putting head through gate to eat grass in my yard, which is fenced 2 acres around house. (the dog is in this yard, goats on other sid of fence)

3) German Shepherd dog is an expensive and well trained personal attack dog, he will attach people (or anything on command) THIS IS WHY I am keeping my beloved pet "Rudy" :ya

4) I am on my way to home depot to get black tape... I have lots of pvc pieces....

5) I was looking at $25 inflatible "dog surgery collars" at Petco :hit

GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!! I CAN KEEP MY GOATS!!! YAHOO :thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK I can see why the dog is important....now just take the steps to protect the other animals from the dog.

You know, if money is not an object per say, it is ONLY 2 acres around the yard. You could buy something like chicken wire and fence over the existing fence.....that way nothing gets a head thru one side and nothing gets in from the other side LOL

while this definitely works cause over the past 15 years I have done this, in the end, re-fence with bulletproof small holes is the way to go.

edited to say----I just had a wild pack dog problem. Killed 6 goats first night, 4 the next. horrible.

I took my smaller pasture and bought 4 ft chicken wire and re-fenced over the existing fence to make a fortress for my goats at night to be safe. So in the end, think re-fence over the part that the dog can get the goats. It will make life so much easier and nicer in the end lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had this happen to me ONLY ONCE.

my back pasture fence goes along the neighbor on the other road....we share a fence. My fence LOL--I agreed he could 'use my fence when he decided to get a donkey'----and it is hard wire panel. Some smaller head goats can get thru it.

Well....no problems in 10 years....then he lets his nasty ass barking big dog in with the donkey. the donkey tolerates the dog but one of my goats got a head thru and yup, I found it dead. I don't think the dog actually bit it....but the dog harrassed it just enough where it choked itself trying to pull back and away from the dog.

So first thing, clear dead goat from fence, straight to the store and bought 300 ft of chicken wire. Re-fence along that wire panel fencing.

No goat can get thru, no dog can get thru. 5 yrs later all is fine.

so honestly in the end, fencing is super key.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have the time or ability to train him thoroughly.....Electricity is your friend. Consider getting a strong e-collar with a good remote (look on hunting dog websites, forget the cheapos at the pet store....try Dogtra) and when the dog goes near the fence....ZAP! Put the collar on tightly so that the two prongs are to one side of his adam's apple, and high on his neck, right below his head. Put it on tightly enough that he gulps when you tighten it. You want him to really get zapped. This is not about his comfort, it is about saving him and your goats.

It is best if he does not associate you with the zap, so hide or be sure not to react in any visible way. Just quietly and calmly zap him until he leaves the area. It will soon be clear in his mind that being near the fence is not fun, and you can even make it so if he even looks at a goat he gets zapped.

I'd also run a hot wire along the dog's side of the fence.

Or completely re-fence that area with a roll of horse fencing, woven wire. Expensive, but so are goats and the trauma everyone goes through.

Yikes.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Just a thought here........

If that GS dog is trained to attack on command.... that tells me SOMEONE spent quite a bit of time training him already........ Why not a bit MORE time training so he won't kill your goats? Sure would be a LOT cheaper than losing goats or buying fence.
Just my $.02 worth. YMMV